KOT Options

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
Sorry if this has been posted before but I'm at the top of the waiting list (or near it) and will be expecting an email soon from analogueman asking for my options. I have thought I didn't need one now but I'm thinking I'll be foolish not to buy one after a long wait to at least try it with my rig. I suppose I could sell it on without losing too much in revenue if it wasn't what I was looking for. Hopefully not though as I hate flipping stuff - just can't be bothered with the hassle etc.

So my question. What would you guys suggest as a usable good options to spec? So far I'm down to 4 jack option and the higher gain one side. Maybe White or Black ;). What others should I consider?

Thanks again guys you are always my initial point of call :)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    edited May 2019
    Have you ever played one (or a Clone)? Might be an idea to have a blast to make sure the level of gain is what you expect - I found the KOT to be very low gain, and I was really only satisfied with high gain on both sides. Obviously horses for courses and depends what you wanna use it for, but.... 

ps - the object of flipping a KOT is to *make* money, not “lose too much revenue” ;)
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    This thread is of interest to me too, as I joined the waiting list in May 2017, so I'm maybe less than 6 months away...

I'm going to go regular/low gain on both sides, as there's probably better pedals designed for higher gain sounds, and the KOT is known to excel at low to medium levels of gain, so it will be playing to its strengths. 

I've no use for the 4 Jack option personally, as I run a very simple small board, and I imagine this option is for those who employ some kind of switching system on their board?

What's the consensus on having the buffer? If you have a pedal before and/or after it with a buffer, will a built-in buffer on the KOT be necessary?

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread completely @hotpickups but waiting for 2 years does mean I've changed my mind regarding the spec I'm going to order many times, and I don't wanna balls it up by missing something crucial...

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24237
    I'm on the list somewhere too.

I'm going to go with high gain on both sides as after reading the description on the site it's really the equivalent of just turning it up a couple of notches. 

I like low powered pickups so a bit more range from the pedal seems good for me.

After thinking about it I'm going to go with the 4 jack option too - I don't have a switcher but I might want one at some point and there's no downside to having that option. Might also increase saleability later if switchers continue to be popular.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Does it matter what you choose for the gain settings for each side since you can change these with the DIP switches? Or am I missing something?
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    I highly recommend the external gain switch, very useful to be able to set 3 different gain settings without opening the pedal
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    skay said:
    This thread is of interest to me too, as I joined the waiting list in May 2017, so I'm maybe less than 6 months away...

I'm going to go regular/low gain on both sides, as there's probably better pedals designed for higher gain sounds, and the KOT is known to excel at low to medium levels of gain, so it will be playing to its strengths. 

I've no use for the 4 Jack option personally, as I run a very simple small board, and I imagine this option is for those who employ some kind of switching system on their board?

What's the consensus on having the buffer? If you have a pedal before and/or after it with a buffer, will a built-in buffer on the KOT be necessary?

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread completely @hotpickups but waiting for 2 years does mean I've changed my mind regarding the spec I'm going to order many times, and I don't wanna balls it up by missing something crucial...
    Not at all. All the advice I could do with 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24237
    Philtre said:
    Does it matter what you choose for the gain settings for each side since you can change these with the DIP switches? Or am I missing something?
    I think there's still more gain available on the High Gain option, beyond the dip switches.
    MrMusic said:
    I highly recommend the external gain switch, very useful to be able to set 3 different gain settings without opening the pedal
    External gain switch you say? Would this allow me to choose the boost/overdrive/distortion setting on-the-fly for one or both sides, without having to open it up and mess with the dip switches?

Ok  I'm on a roll now...

For those of you who have owned/played one, can I ask what's the difference between having the pedal set to overdrive (on the dip switches) and the gain set high, to having the pedal set to distortion (again, via the internal dip switches) and the gain knob lower?

Is this the same sound? Is the break up and ability to clean-up with your picking attack the same? Is the compression characteristics different? More bass cut on either setting?

I'm a low gain kinda guy, so I'm probably not going to go high gain red side, but would setting the pedal to distortion give me a high(er) gain overdrive sound if I ever wanted it?

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I’ve got a fully loaded one, meaning 4 jack, internal buffer, high gain both sides, external switch.

My advice would be, pimp it out as much as you can - time again I think I’d maybe not opt for the buffer (since takes away battery power) but apart from that happy. You’ve waited so long, make it a one time purchase.

Having external switch is a massive thing, high gain makes a lot of sense - you can still get the low gain sounds but you have more (and more is always more!).

I think the question you’ve posed is difficult, overall you can get the same character with higher overdrive vs lower distortion - however there is (I feel) a slightly different compression and harmonic content - doubt you’d notice in real life tho
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9524
    The thing to remember about the KOT, is that it's a bit 'ok' at low home volumes. It is transparent, to use that term, and it reflects hence the sound of your amp. Happy with your amp ? The KOT will 'add' to it, but only really comes to life live and at amp volumes, imho...
    The thing to remember about the KOT, is that it's a bit 'ok' at low home volumes. It is transparent, to use that term, and it reflects hence the sound of your amp. Happy with your amp ? The KOT will 'add' to it, but only really comes to life live and at amp volumes, imho...
    Yep that’ll suit me . I don’t play through amps much when at home 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Definitely agree with the volume thing - much better when played loud. Was not overly inspiring at home 
    edited May 2019
    JDE said:
    Have you ever played one (or a Clone)? Might be an idea to have a blast to make sure the level of gain is what you expect - I found the KOT to be very low gain, and I was really only satisfied with high gain on both sides. Obviously horses for courses and depends what you wanna use it for, but.... 

ps - the object of flipping a KOT is to *make* money, not “lose too much revenue”
    Well what I mean is I'm not planning to buy it just to make money. All Would want is to get my money back that I outlaid for it etc. Never tried one or a clone though 
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Well what I mean is I'm planning to buy it just to make money. All Would want is to get my money back that I outlaid for it etc. Never tried one or a clone though 
    Oh I know, man. Wasn’t insinuating anything about you! More a comment about how they regularly sell for more than their original price. You shouldn’t lose any money should you sell, basically. Hope you really like it and selling it isn’t an issue. 
    If you’re ‘buying to sell’, I’d choose high red side and possibly the 4 jacks.

Ironically the standard colours seem to sell well but I’ve owned a blue and gold and they looked ace !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Nice 
    @Wazmeister I notice that your ex-KOT has an external switch. Does this allow you to switch between boost/overdrive/distortion for only one side, or does it change both at the same time?

skay said:
    @Wazmeister I notice that your ex-KOT has an external switch. Does this allow you to switch between boost/overdrive/distortion for only one side, or does it change both at the same time?
    I think it was red side only - to switch the internal options