How to clean tweed

What's Hot
A few months ago I picked up a 90s Carvin combo to use as the basis for an amp build project. The tweed-covered cabinet is very dirty. I don't mind it being a bit marked and torn, but I would rather be able to remove a lot of the soiling (and stabilise any tears) rather than remove it all and re-cover.

Can anyone recommend an effective cleaning product for this job? I don't think the tweed has been lacquered - just knackered!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Some further Googling turned up Dettol Mould & Mildew Remover - I have to say it works a treat, removing a lot of the worst soiling from the tweed. It has a chlorine smell which suggests bleach content, so probably best not to attack your 50s Tweed combo with it, at least until you've done a patch test in an inconspicuous area.

• MattPMattP Frets: 252
    Thanks for posting this - I need to clean some tweed so it's really good to know.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    For what it's worth, I tried cleaning a tweed amp with Vanish Power Foam, and it pretty much made no difference whatsoever!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I used a micro fibre cloth with the Dettol stuff.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
    Get something called Ambersil Groom. It's for cars but it's brilliant stuff. Spray on and wipe off with a damp rag.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Usually just leave that stuff to my butler. Ruddy mud stains from the grouse moors can be a tricky cove to see off. Chin-chin! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom