PBass refin...

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
so two weeks ago (gig on the 17th May) bass monkey gives me his mim pBass and says “oi, paint it that colour you did your strat”... 

“ok” says I, “will take a while tho’ as I’m told I don’t take enough time over my finishes”.

”no good” says bass monkey “need it for the gig on the 1st”...

Challenge accepted!!!!!

first off, strip that shit plastic coating...

Then fill dents and splits

1st Base coat of white on and flatted...

1st coat of Inca silver

Bit of see through red...

Then put the thing back together... he wants it heavily aged so a start has been made... more will get done over the next few weeks but at least he can ponse about on Saturday night in the meantime...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Nice stack of "tone" wood behind it!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nice stack of "tone" wood behind it!
    Yep... all the best guitars are made from scaffold boards... shhhhhhh, don’t tell anyone :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I always die a bit inside when I see a beautifully done refin like that ruined in the last few photos. Such a shame. If he's going to gig it, why not just let it wear naturally?

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I always die a bit inside when I see a beautifully done refin like that ruined in the last few photos. Such a shame. If he's going to gig it, why not just let it wear naturally?

It’s what he wanted... not what I’d have done tbh... it looked lovely as was...

you'll die even more inside when you look at the pic of the strings that came off it!!!! (And went back on)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    poopot said:

you'll die even more inside when you look at the pic of the strings that came off it!!!! (And went back on)
    I suppose it adds a bit more realism to the finish :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    poopot said:
    ICBM said:

It’s what he wanted... not what I’d have done tbh... it looked lovely as was...

there's extra tone in them old strings.

love the finish!
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    That is a smashing colour combination!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    edited June 2019
    Slight update...

the bass now has an excellent pickup from @OilCityPickups fankoo ash!... and has spent the night in the time machine along with some questionable looking spag Bol!!!!

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    In the real world, would a guitar/bass ever get that worn?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    My strat did...  a decade of gigs and they all look shit!

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Rocker said:
    The body wear is very similar to my proper 64 Precision, and the checking is similar - shows up more on candy apple red compared to sunburst - but it’s very similar..

In fact, I think @poopot might have cheated and copied the wear pattern on the back of mine - it’s almost exactly the same!!
  • Great job!! Also, just laughed loud enough to unsettle my neighbours at "time machine" genius!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Keith Scott’s 63 strat. 

https://i.imgur.com/Y2oTaUN.jpg

The short answer would be - Yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Here you go - back of my 64 Precision - all hard earned wear..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rocker said:
    So there’s a few answers!... yep is the long and short of it... guitars and basses do wear like that (even poly eventually) when they are gigged and thrown about rather than hung on a wall or kept in a case and polished once a month!...

fwiw, this bass was a refin for my bass player, he wanted it to match the look of his jazz bass which looks positively wreaked after just 4 short years of gigging with us... I just sped up the process on this one!...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Rocker said:
    So there’s a few answers!... yep is the long and short of it... guitars and basses do wear like that (even poly eventually) when they are gigged and thrown about rather than hung on a wall or kept in a case and polished once a month!...

fwiw, this bass was a refin for my bass player, he wanted it to match the look of his jazz bass which looks positively wreaked after just 4 short years of gigging with us... I just sped up the process on this one!...
    so what's the short answer   :)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    poopot said:
    Rocker said:

so what's the short answer   :)
    Yes
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom