Oh no - I think I want an axe fx/Kemper/helix thing..

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
I’ve been very happy in Lazy J land since Feb last year with a simple but fun pedalboard of OD3, DS1, DD3, CE-2 and a Flint (with occasional substitute cameos from an analogman chorus and a Cruiser Deuce). But my covers band is managing to rehearse more frequently again - and for the first time in a while I’m really enjoying it. Together with my kids getting into pop music and enjoying playing to accompany them, I’m thinking a modelling rig would be extremely versatile for the broad ground I now cover and let me indulge my metal tonez when no one is listening. 
If I was to invest in one of these options the lazy J and boutique pedals would have to go to fund them - so it’s a bit scary.
 Any old school traditionalists have any thoughts on contemplating going to the dark side?
Anyone dabbled and then gone back to the light (I think @Wazmeister may have done this)?
And is Helix the obvious choice above the Fractal stuff (the pros seem to be more Axe fx’y whereas the enthusiasts seem more in the Line 6 camp). 
Gulp...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    I have a Lazy J and pedals. Bought a Helix as like you thought it’d be better for my covers band.....

....sold it and back to my Lazy J! 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    What was it you didn’t get on with @Majorscale ? I’m wondering if this is just GAS masquerading as faux-pragmatism 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    The helix can do a lot and it’s easily the simplest of the powerful modellers to use... but it’s far from simple compared to a traditional rig. So in essence for me it was the usability, particularly in a band context. It’s also far to easy to go down deep rabbit holes trying to search for and get a good sound... after a couple of months of trying, I just turned on my J20, clicked on my favourite overdrive and instantly there was a good sound!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I'm in the same boat and have a much-loved Divided by 13 rig. 
    Keep your amp but go for a Helix Stomp instead. You could integrate it onto your board or replace all those pedals with it. 

You can use it with your amp or take just the unit to rehearsals and go into the PA.

As to your children, the Stomp has amps for guitar and bass, and I believe it even works on keys. So, providing they don't all want to play at once (that's when you'll need the Full Fat Helix), it should work for them.

I was going to buy a Strymon Timeline to a replace a delay and some modulation stuff. The Stomp makes better sense and also offers me a backup amp
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Us stomp to use with the J sounds best option here 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    My experience so far having owned all 3
    Best Amps. Kemper
    Best FX.       Fractal
    Ease of Use. Line 6

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    edited May 2019
    Had a Lazy J20 and pedals, sold and moved to Kemper after trying a couple of Helix's out.
     I find the Kemper easier to use than the Helix, and sounds much better to me 'amps' wise.
    Big + is home use with cab or headphone.
    At church, ideal to plug into PA without stage amp volume issues.
    Costly but it has stopped me buying and selling pricey pedals and loosing cash there.
    Guitar guitar B'ham has both to test but it's a learning curve..so not always instant 'this is the one' choice.
    Sure you would be happy with any suggesyed options...just decids which interface suits you.
    All the best
    Jon
    Cheers all. I think the Stomp maybe a relatively affordable gateway drug into this whole scene and I could still keep hold of the J. But I’m tempted to go all in to make me get to grips with it.. decision time. 
    Well, there are plenty of us with the requisite kit, I'm sure some are more than willing to walk you through them
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    sweepy said:
    Best Amps. Kemper
    Best FX.       Fractal
    Ease of Use. Line 6

Spot on
    My advice to anyone, no matter what set-up you have, is that IF you are happy with it, don't change it.

Add to it, by all means.... but the modeller learning curve is steep, and with a decent FRFR, you're rig will be heavier than a Lazy J
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You don't really need to cover lots of sounds in a covers band. You just need dependable gear and to play the song correctly.
    I wouldn't swap my amp for a helix, ever, and I say that as an owner of a helix

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My advice to anyone, no matter what set-up you have, is that IF you are happy with it, don't change it.

Add to it, by all means.... but the modeller learning curve is steep, and with a decent FRFR, you're rig will be heavier than a Lazy J
    That’s interesting - I figured the speaker would be lighter than the J20. 

You don't really need to cover lots of sounds in a covers band. You just need dependable gear and to play the song correctly.

That’s also very interesting. I’d still be left with my old 70s champ and a beast of 2x12 jcm 800 combo so I wouldn’t be amp less. The j20 has been a fantastic grab and go being 1x12 and capable of being as loud as necessary un mic’d - I would miss it’s squishy goodness...
    My Atomic CLR is quite weighty, the Neo version is Supposed to be marginally lighter
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Buy a Redsound cab...lightweight
    edited May 2019
    sweepy said:
    Best Amps. Kemper
    Best FX.       Fractal
    Ease of Use. Line 6

cheers @sweepy ;If my main aim was to have a variety of different core tones (as opposed to limitless effects) would you go with Kemper and pedals if necessary over Fractal or Helix?
    JonHosker said:
    Buy a Redsound cab...lightweight
    Great cab, but not lighter than a Lazy J...
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847

This is so true, and doesnt stop at covers bands either.
    When I started doing gigs for well known original artists I was so paranoid about getting the sound right etc and all they care about is that the groove is there and you sound good.
    Most don’t even care if you don’t play the parts as the originals and want you to change it as they’re sick of them.
    I soon realised I needed to stop chasing tones and practice more.

Fact is, if you can get a decent clean tone and dirty rhythm and lead tone it doesnt matter if the flavour is Marshall, Fender, Mesa or whatever as long as you sound good.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • My advice to anyone, no matter what set-up you have, is that IF you are happy with it, don't change it.

Agree with this. I'm kicking myself for selling it all and buying the majority of it back after 2 years away going down the digital road. 

Kemper is superb. I'd buy a Helix if I was gigging, but I'm not, so I've gone back to amps and pedals to enjoy the best of it all back home.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922