Dunlop Echoplex V DM-2W

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Anyone tried both? what's the verdict? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Echoplex all the way. The DM-2w is a nice (but quite ordinary) analog delay pedal. The Echoplex, with it's age/damage option, 4 sec delay (with tap tempo) and luscious repeats is a much nicer sound. My previous delay of choice was a DD-2 type but the Echplex gives that same excellent rhythmic ability of the long chip delays but with a far richer, more complex sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    You've helped make up my mind @JezWynd thanks! 
    You've helped make up my mind @JezWynd thanks! 
    I don't think you'll be disappointed but it's all very subjective. If you get a used one you won't lose on it. After having the Echoplex for a while I sold all my other delays, just keeping a DD-7 for anything else.
    Yep! my DD-7 is staying for now, I actually really like the analogue setting it's a great digital delay
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    Isn't the analog setting supposed to be a copy of the DM-2w anyway? There seem to be a lot internetters that think they sound identical.
    Isn't the analog setting supposed to be a copy of the DM-2w anyway? There seem to be a lot internetters that think they sound identical.
    Yes! that's true, I have have them both on my board currently and I'd say that it was fairly close, the DD-7 has really impressed me does everything I need.
  • Analog mode on the DD7 is pretty decent, but I don't think it's quite as controllable as some of the bigger pedals out there like the Timeline, Nemesis, etc. But the DD7 really comes into it's own as a single form factor pedal, it's one of my favourite pedals and I just bought one recently for shits and giggles!

The DM2 is a great pedal though make no mistake, not tried the Waza version of it.

Not tried the Echoplex, but if I had the space and the cash I'd be going for the Strymon Volante. It's just such an awesome pedal.

Bye!

Analog mode on the DD7 is pretty decent, but I don't think it's quite as controllable as some of the bigger pedals out there like the Timeline, Nemesis, etc. But the DD7 really comes into it's own as a single form factor pedal, it's one of my favourite pedals and I just bought one recently for shits and giggles!

The DM2 is a great pedal though make no mistake, not tried the Waza version of it.

Not tried the Echoplex, but if I had the space and the cash I'd be going for the Strymon Volante. It's just such an awesome pedal.
    Cheers @WiresDreamDisasters ;I’ve never owned a Strymon, and that Volante does sounds incredible if only I had the pedalboard space, I’ve only just recently flogged a big box DMM because it was too much of a big bugger.
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    Anyone tried both? what's the verdict? 
    JezWynd said:
    Echoplex all the way. The DM-2w is a nice (but quite ordinary) analog delay pedal. The Echoplex, with it's age/damage option, 4 sec delay (with tap tempo) and luscious repeats is a much nicer sound. My previous delay of choice was a DD-2 type but the Echplex gives that same excellent rhythmic ability of the long chip delays but with a far richer, more complex sound.
    Disagree...Echoplex sounded like a slightly more refined version of the DL4s echoplex setting...didn't sound much like an EP, warble sounded false and build quality felt a bit flimsy for the price. I'd rather have the Belle Epoch even though I don't think any pedal truly gets close to the ep3.

However, I still own the DM2w...it doesn't sound like an EP because its not trying to...but it does sound like a classic analog delay, which is what it is...
    I had the Belle Epoch prior to the Echoplex and didn’t like it very much at all. It was a big disappointment as i’d heard great things about it. It seemed too digital; sonically and in the way the controls respond. Plus the preamp and mix levels were tricky to balance. I tried the Echoplex after the BE as a last try at an Echoplex style delay and it immediately felt really comfortable to use. I agree the age/ damage feature gets cheesy very quickly but if it’s kept dialled back, it sounds fine. But tbh, I don’t use it much anyway; the baked in modulation sound is so cool it doesn’t require any more seasoning.

I’ve never used a genuine echoplex, so can’t compare the two but as a straight ahead tape voiced delay the Echoplex completely works for me. Previously I played tele’s into long chip boss delays but after changing my guitar to a hollow body P90 I wanted a different sound and the Eplex gave me the same feel as the Boss when creating rhythmic lines - ie. repeats that sit under the guitar and don’t get in the way while adding depth to the sound.

But wouldn’t it be boring if we all liked the same things.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    JezWynd said:

But wouldn’t it be boring if we all liked the same things.  :)
    Absolutlely...but we do agree on Boss long-chip delays which are awesome!
    I’ve just punched myself in the face for selling a DSD-2 today
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    The DM2w is bloody fantastic. 
    It really does depend upon what style of music you play. If I was playing lead in a rock band I'd very likely choose the DM-2w as it's such a smooth sound, ideal for sustaining lead lines. But for what I play, a mix of folk, country rock and funk rhythms, the Eplex does exactly what I need.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Another +1 for the DM2w but, as also mentioned, the long chip DD-2 is just wonderful. I’d have that over most other delays - it sounds just as organic as an analogue delay and just has this extremely pleasing aliasing on the repeats. 
    Has anyone tried a DM-2W before dirt? sounds bloody phenomenal... if you are into that sort of thing?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Has anyone tried a DM-2W before dirt? sounds bloody phenomenal... if you are into that sort of thing?
    Once I’ve bought a few more cables, I’ll be running mine in the loop. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I was watching a John Martyn clip on BBC4 last night and he was, I’m pretty sure, using an Echoplex. Remarkable how filtered ( I guess very worn tape) this sounded, to the point if you were doing it on a modern digital recreation you might think it was false or OTT. But not really the same sound as an analogue delay once it’s more prominent in the music. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    I was expecting to love the Echoplex based on its fans but when I went and tried a few delays it didn't appeal.as.much as the Catalinbred Belle Epoch or the Echosex one the name of which I forget. Both were sweeter sounding to me.

In comparing an EP and the Boss they are different things - if you want modulation it's the EP and if you don't then there are many more options that the.EP Vs the Boss 
    Red ones are better. 
    Wow! can confirm the Dunlop Echoplex is incredible and pretty much covers everything for me.