The Antiboost pedal - reverse psychology

After trying several different pedals to get a slight boost in level for solos i’ve decided a bit of reverse psychology is the way to go. This new design of mine is completely backwards to how a normal one works . When it’s off the light comes on and you get a solo boost ... when it’s on the light goes off and you’re back to your rhythm level. The pot adjusts the difference between the two levels. 
Because it starts with an attenuated level and then simply puts it back to where it was before for a boost it doesn’t push the front end of the amp any harder and so doesn’t colour the sound at all or distort the amp any further like other boost pedals can do. 

I built  buffered and passive versions but have put the passive version on my board as most the pedals on my board are buffered so another buffer is pointless. Works a treat 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I think that's the same principle as the Award Session Solo Booster, but more forthright.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Mad Professor Under Drive
    HBE Detox.

But those have EQs on too. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I use a Boss GE7 to do the volume cut thing when playing Django style rhythm to give me a touch of soloing headroom.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I think that's the same principle as the Award Session Solo Booster, but more forthright.
    Just googled that Steve and your right it is the same. Just had a brainwave  ..... use two pots for 2 different volumes and the footswitch switches between them. That way you can match the volumes easier. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited June 2019
    Same as the EHX Signal Pad?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    That looks like a seriously useful piece of kit, and something that every guitarist who ever has to plug into a “house” amp (or somebody else’s backline) should probably have on the pedalboard or in a pocket of their guitar case...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Particularly useful to those of us with Victory Sheriffs or similar post phase inverter master volume amps. Having a boost in the loop just overdrives the power stage, so I have to have an overdrive running with the level set to the cut the signal and some gain to make up for what I'm losing, then switch it off for my full "boosted" signal.
    Tim
  • Sorry if I'm being thick, but isn't that basically the same as using a normal boost but turning the gain of the preamp down?  Or is there a problem with amps distorting a high input signal before it gets as far as the bit controlled by the gain pot?

I'm genuinely interested BTW, not trying to be awkward :)