TLC for v.old finish

What's Hot
The Gibson es125 I bought recently plays really well, but I'm keen to do something to the finish as it is flaking off quite badly in places.

2 bits of internet advice:

1. Lashings of carnuba wax and bags of elbow grease

2. Light layer of new nitro, which will merge with original nitro and stabalise things.

Not after a refinish/refurb, or losing the crazing, just stabalising what's there.

Any restorers got a view ?

Neck is fine as it's got loads of grease from hands (needs a bit of 0000 wire wool IMH), but see RHS of body ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    People pay ridiculous amounts of money to have new guitars look much worse than that...!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    As I say - I'm not bothered with finish cracks or crazing, and I don't want a refurb - just want to stabalise the flaking.

No opinions ?

Feedback
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    Mick, I've sprayed over heavily checked guitars in the past, has always worked for me, I can't really help from a quick fix point but when I've sprayed them the checking is as evident after as it was before but the checking is "Preserved" for want of a better word below the fresh lacquer. It'll look the same and after rubbing back the finish will be smooth as silk. Don't know if that's any help. Rich
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Ace ta.

Feedback