Barber gain changer - footswitch repair

steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
Hello,

I have a Barber Gain changer with (I suspect) a broken footswitch.

Symptoms are pedal/signal cutting in and out for a short while (20-30 secs) after turning the pedal either on or off. (In case it's relevant been running at 18v.)

As the pedal is true bypass, I reasoned it is likely a footswitch issue.
Looks simple enough inside and I ordered a footswitch and a desoldering wick.

Question being- Am I right that this a reasonably simple fix (if I am careful) to desolder and replace the switch? 

Or do you think there may be hidden pitfalls, given symptoms? If so will take to a tech.

When the thing settles down, it sounds fantastic- I think it's 'The one' - so don't want to kill it.

Advice (as always) much appreciated. Thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

In the absence of wiser heads chiming in, I'd say take a pic first for reference. Want the bit fairly but not excessively hot, to get the wires off & on quickly. Let it cool down between goes.

Just opened mine up to see about doing the 'bass in place' mod that DB himself talks about. Instead of a fixed resistor I'm hoping to fit a trimpot and have that accessible from the outside. The switch is straightforward, no mini PCB, so should be OK to swap. Good luck! It's a great pedal.

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    Ah thanks @Corvus ; for the advice- yep, it looks easy enough and I'll take a pic. I'm going to give it a go tmrw...

Yes, it's a superb pedal- really lovely.

Good luck with the mod- let me know how it goes.

Cheers :)