New pb chain order - confused!

What's Hot
valeparkvalepark Frets: 1
Working on a new board with a few additions that I've never used before like a fuzz pedal and an EHX B9, some of this stuff I have already, most I don't. Haven't hit the order button yet.

Slightly confused as a lot of guidance suggests the wah, fuzz, comp and B9 are all competing for spot no 1 in the chain.

In absolutely no particular order, just from checking they'll roughly fit, this is the rig in question.

I'm thinking of starting, in no particular order, with the B9/Soul preacher comp/Tuner/Fuzz/Wah.

In whatever order you guys suggest is best with minimum interference/noise/impedance monkey business. Tuner also functions as a mute pedal.

Then into the BD2 and a TS9 as OD pedals to drive the preamp, via placing them in the decimator loop to suppress undesired noise/hum

From there to the Spark boost pedal, from there to the volume pedal to act as a master volume but outside of the fx loop so it lets the fx ring

Meanwhile, parallel fx loop from the amp, (JVM205) running sub up octaver-flanger-phaser-delay-reverb -- -4db/80% wet. I forgot to include it in the diagram but at the end of the fx loop would be a digitech jam man express xt looper - considering upgrading, suggestions welcome.

All powered by a VL Mondo (12 sources) - as there are too many pedals, four would have to be fed by two ground lifted output splitters. I know the two sets of two pedals would need to be in sequence and that their sum current draw must be less than the output of the source.

The B9/Muff/wah/boost +modulation fx stuff would only be engaged for certain songs. It's the comp/BD2/TS9/delay/reverb that would generally be always on.

Does that sound like a sensible chain or have I completely gotten things wrong?

Any advice much appreciated, cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• valeparkvalepark Frets: 1
    bump
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676

You have a good understanding of what the received wisdom is.

Setting everything up like you’re “supposed to” is the best place to start, but there’s no substitute for experimentation with all of the stuff in front of you.

For example, I currently have my comp after my drives and a drive before my fuzz and it achieves the sound and feel I’m looking for. For now.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    Try alphabetical order
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valeparkvalepark Frets: 1
    Thanks. Having seen my board, anything you'd recommended in terms of replacements or additions?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I would say if you've got a load you're not sure of, then set them up on the floor and just play about before you put them all on the board! Makes swapping cables ALOT easier.

Don't have any expensive of the b9 bit would guess it may track better after a comp, as it'll smooth out the signal to it.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    A Muff doesn't have to be first, some vintage type fuzz faces do. Also a Muff can be good with a drive pedal in front of it, to fill out mids.