Pedaltrain spark or Coiks DC5 for a small board?

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
Both have 5 isolated outputs which is perfect - any experience? None of the pedals are particularly high current draw, just after the `most isolated` option to keep noise to a minimum.........

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a DC5 and it’s excellent.
    I’m actually using it on a Metro 20 to power 7 pedals (3 isolated, and 4x low voltage pedals on a pair of split flex chains)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited June 2019
    I have a cioks and its great, fits perfectly under a pedaltrain nano/nano+ (requires 2 small drilled holes). Cable is a bit short but that's ok.
    No experience of the spark. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Cheers guys - does it fit under a nano+ with velcro rather than screws?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    It would be snugunder a Nano+ with velcro, I reckon. You could always put some washers on the feet, though, to give yourself a couple of mm extra clearance.

I have one on a Nano+, with screws. It comes with a template so drilling it out is easy. The only consideration with that is that the supplied screws are crowned slightly, and sit ever-so-slightly proud of the velcro on the board, so you need to think a wee bit about placement against the pedals you'll be using.
  • newi123 said:
    Cheers guys - does it fit under a nano+ with velcro rather than screws?
    I tried it briefly with Velcro at first but it was in contact with the floor (Nano+ and Metro 20) so I attached it with screws to prevent scratches/dust getting in etc
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Ok - thanks again!
    It's fairly heavy so I string recommendation drilling. You can also slightly bevel the holes with an oversized bit after. Then when the velcro goes back over you dont notice it.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I used cable ties - there's a Gigrig/ That Pedal show video on YouTube somewhere where Dan uses the cable ties method with a Gigrig generator under a Pedaltrain Metro. It might be Matt Schofield's board build. 
    Beexter said:
    I used cable ties - there's a Gigrig/ That Pedal show video on YouTube somewhere where Dan uses the cable ties method with a Gigrig generator under a Pedaltrain Metro. It might be Matt Schofield's board build. 
    Not a good idea, these are two totally different scenarios. 
    I used the cable ties method with a DC5 under a metro 20, my current Truetone 7 or whatever it is is mounted under a metro 20 using cable ties as is a strymon ojai and gigrig generator on other boards. All have been gigged with no issues so would be interested to hear why it's not a good idea. I may need a complete rethink. 
    Beexter said:
    I used the cable ties method with a DC5 under a metro 20, my current Truetone 7 or whatever it is is mounted under a metro 20 using cable ties as is a strymon ojai and gigrig generator on other boards. All have been gigged with no issues so would be interested to hear why it's not a good idea. I may need a complete rethink. 
    I should add that I added some chair feet (diall brand from B&Q) to raise the height a little- they just push fit over the existing feet so no drilling. You could get way without them but they're an easy option to have.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    One advantage of the pedaltrain spark is that it mounts without drilling. It's got a neat little mechanism that attaches it to the rails. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    These power supplies are bloomin' expensive, aren't they?
    edited June 2019
    Beexter said:
    A metro 20 has more than two slats and gaps on either side of the centre

The OP asked re a small board which implies a nano or such. These have a single gap which mean the cable ties would need to go around the ENTIRE Board and will have far less grip due to the low profile of these small power supplies.

Edit:
    Underside of my nano+

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    DC-5 under a Metro 24.
    If I can drill the holes to attach it then I swear anyone can.  It's a very safe fit, just enough clearance. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    Truetone CS6 fits under a PT Nano + and is very flexible
  • I owned the Cioks DC5 attached to the bottom of my Nano but found the RC power cables to the pedals to be really really flimsy and a few of them broke (incidentally, they are find to replace). That had to go! After that I opted for the Trutone CS6 and that is miles better in my opinion.