DMM vs DD-2

HeartwoodHeartwood Frets: 16
OK so I have the DMM xo version and I really like the sound of it, nice repeats with a bit of Vibrato if I wish. Problem is that it takes up quite a bit of room on the board and because it's 24v it takes two ports of the PP2. I was wondering what people's experiences of the long chip DD3 or DD2 were when compared to a DMM.  I'm considering a change but only because I hear good things about the long chip boss delays and any DD2 would be smaller and only need 1 port on the PP2...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You will  lose all the lushness and vibrato that the dmm gives you if you moved to a boss dd2 or 3.

If everything fits and works on your board why are you changing it?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've use a EHX Grand Canyon which does a great version of the DMM with modulation control. It's still a larger footprint than a Boss pedal though. The Canyon has all the same controls in a smaller footprint but I found it very fiddly. 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
     The DSD-2/DD-2 is easily one of my favourites, excellent for slapback and great for longish. Other plus points it’s very easy to dial in and sits nicely for lead or single note stuff, I’ve owned both the XO and Big box, incredible lush delay but it took up too much space, and tbh I found it a bit fussy to dial in. Get the DSD-2 as it’s cheaper than the DD-2, it’s exactly the same circuit apart from the sampler bit. And this made me buy the DSD-2. 

https://youtu.be/boSRQgJKtWQ
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    I’ve a 1986 long chip dd3. I think it’s fantastic. Sounds more like an analogue delay than a digital one to be honest. Very warm sounding. I was using a dm2w which I loved. But picked up the dd3 off eBay at the start of the year. Only paid £50 for it too. It’s in great condition considering how old it is. 
    My first delay was a dd3 back in 1990-91. I’ve always thought the Japanese build ones sounded a bit better than the newer ones. But I don’t think there’s a lot of difference with the v1 long chip and the v1a, that was still jap built but had a different chip in it.