Why is designing a headstock so tricky?

What's Hot
Cutting from a paddle headstock:

The body shape has lot of rounded curves so would like to continue that on but everything just looks like a Fender stock.I know some of these are a bit rough - just experimenting.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Anything that exactly reproduces a Fender design will be dismissed as a copy.

Anything that loosely apes the Fender outline will be mocked for being a poor imitation. 

The blank paddle probably is not long enough to make a Firebird headstock - either way up.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Anything that exactly reproduces a Fender design will be dismissed as a copy.

Anything that loosely apes the Fender outline will be mocked for being a poor imitation. 

The blank paddle probably is not long enough to make a Firebird headstock - either way up.
    Yeah. I'm starting to think I need some scrap maple to plug the holes and add some more wood onto the headstock to give me a larger playing field as it were.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Another thing, that you need to do, is to draw in where the strings will run from the tuners down to their grooves in the nut in order to make sure that they are free from each other.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Why is it so tricky? There aren’t many options, certainly not many which haven’t already been used by someone else
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Roland said:
    Why is it so tricky? There aren’t many options, certainly not many which haven’t already been used by someone else
    There must still be hundreds... the real difficulty is designing one that isn’t also either ugly or boring. Even most professional builders and companies seem to fail at one or other of those, or both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Why not look at something other than 6 in line? Musicman and Peavey have done the 4 and 2 thing well but there are less of those type around so maybe you could try that route? Or 5 and 1? Reverse 4 and 2? Etc 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    It is hard, no doubt about it.

Take a look at Inkscape, it's free and not too hard to learn. You can tweak point & curve endlessly. The slightest change makes a big difference, it's so much better than paper.
    You can drop in images so could crop a Strat neck template to get a starting guide of string run/spacing, top nut, tuner holes. Or roll your own.
    I use it for control cavities & covers, rod covers, whatever, as well as headstocks. You can export for laser cutting. Print and make router templates. Plenty of how-to's online but to do this stuff isn't a massive learning curve in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    The way to do it is using a vector drawing app on a computer, you can keep copying and refining designs. Works for me.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I think we are so used to Strat heads on Strats and Tele heads on Teles etc that when something different comes along it jars with our expectations and looks off, its adidficult thing to get right, eg, I couldn't own a G and L, however well it played/sounded as the headstock makes me cringe!....The Mayer Silver Sky with 3 aside......just, no!...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited June 2019
    paulnb57 said:
    I think we are so used to Strat heads on Strats and Tele heads on Teles etc that when something different comes along it jars with our expectations and looks off, its adidficult thing to get right, eg, I couldn't own a G and L, however well it played/sounded as the headstock makes me cringe!....The Mayer Silver Sky with 3 aside......just, no!...
    Odd isn't it?  I don't much care for the G&L either but don't have as much hate as some for the Mayer PRS sig.

Ibanez's pointy effort has grown on me over the years, I guess familiarity is at the root of that about-turn.  About my favourite non-Strat Strat peghead is Suhr's.

You start to see why Fender protect the trademark silhouette of the Strat headstock so feverishly.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I spent a long time going through headstocks before settling on mine, people either like it or dislike it, nothing i can do about that

I used it on a t and s style builds but 6 in line is so ingrained on the brain they can't get past it, so if i build a fender scale guitar it'll be going on the usual G type bodies i think

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I’ve designed three body shapes I’m happy with now and they’re all original (as far as I can reasonably tell anyway). I’ve so far not designed one headstock I like.

Apparently the 4-2 is protected by Ernie Ball and they are quicker with legal than Fender. 
    tFB Trader
    Simon_M said:
    I’ve designed three body shapes I’m happy with now and they’re all original (as far as I can reasonably tell anyway). I’ve so far not designed one headstock I like.

It's not easy and i think 6 in line is worse to get right imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Simon_M said:

It's not easy and i think 6 in line is worse to get right imo
    I perhaps made the mistake of buying a paddle neck as a starting point. I’ll do a six in a line this time and then if I can learn how to actually make a neck from scratch I’ll try something more creative. 
    tFB Trader
    Simon_M said:
    I perhaps made the mistake of buying a paddle neck as a starting point. I’ll do a six in a line this time and then if I can learn how to actually make a neck from scratch I’ll try something more creative. 
     If you make an f style they're fairly easy to make from scratch especially with a modern truss rod, just have a go on cheap maple first
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Simon_M said:
    Apparently the 4-2 is protected by Ernie Ball and they are quicker with legal than Fender. 

Had to read up about that, surprising they managed that because Gretsch did a 2-4 decades back, and there's the Brian Moores and whatever else. Although it seems its a US trademark or copyright, not global, like Huber made some 4-2 guitars but couldn't send them to the US and sent 3+3 versions instead. Anyway, as you were.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/guitar-pictures/vintage-1967-gretsch-corvette-6135-electric-guitar-01.jpg

Corvus said:
    Simon_M said:

Had to read up about that, surprising they managed that because Gretsch did a 2-4 decades back, and there's the Brian Moores and whatever else. Although it seems its a US trademark or copyright, not global, like Huber made some 4-2 guitars but couldn't send them to the US and sent 3+3 versions instead. Anyway, as you were.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/guitar-pictures/vintage-1967-gretsch-corvette-6135-electric-guitar-01.jpg

I didn’t realise it was USA only. Seems odd that anyone can trademark what side tuners go on. Weird.  

Drill holes plugged and sanded. To the timber merchant tomorrow to find some scrap maple. This headstock is going to be painted so the fact that the holes look terrible doesn't matter.

I bought the neck for £20. It came with frets and a nut both of which were poor so I pulled them all and will be putting something better in.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18726
    Simon_M said:
    Corvus said:
    Simon_M said:

I didn’t realise it was USA only. Seems odd that anyone can trademark what side tuners go on. Weird.  
    Looks like someone at Schecter didn't get the 4-2 memo ?
    https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/robert-smith-ultracure-2016-08-01-detail