Stripped pine cab on Peavey Deuce? And perhaps dodgy repair found? And Beer!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
    It does, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The wax is my home brew bees wax polish and will darken in time to a honey colour. It will need re waxing from time to time or I could leave it for that worn finish relic look!

Its in desperate need of a good service and perhaps a new set of valves but I played it for ages last night and its revived my love for it, I normally didn't bother with it and used my little Vox for convenience , it takes forever to warm up and start sounding nice, its hard to dial in at low volumes, but, once its there its really quite lovely.

I have some speaker cloth coming for it from a very generous forum member that will take care of the rip in the existing cloth and I had the pedal cover sand blasted and powder coated a while back so for a 40 odd year old amp its looking quite good for its age. Once its serviced it will be good as new!

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    Just done something similar with a Peavey Encore 65 but it wasnt as pretty without the tolex so put new black leather-like and new grill cloth. Need to re-assemble the amp & speaker now which i'll get round to in the summer. I cleaned up the chrome, bought a new handle and have washers instead of the strips on top for the screws. Cool project.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    That looks really smart, I like it.

I like Danish Oil and wax for a finish on hardwood, but it can make pine look a kind of sickly yellow, like a Wickes wardrobe from the 80's.  The wax on its own worked really well.  The black cloth and grizzled metalwork really sets it off for me.

And congratulations on not getting mixed up and drinking the wax and putting Stella on the cab instead ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    A neutral briwax is also great in pine
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    I do like waxed Pine, I did an old Victorian blanket chest a few years back and that has aged beautifully. I dont know how this amp will look in a few years, I was hoping not to let it look like furniture, we shall see. Grille cloth arrived today, best get some more beer in for the week end! 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    A neutral briwax is also great in pine
    Briwax is fantastic stuff.  I have some that's 'rustic pine' and works a treat on cheap softwood to make it look a bit more interesting.

I keep meaning to pick up some of the natural variety.
    edited June 2019
    No beer! Drank it all last night! Oh well.

The amp is apart again.

Painted the speaker baffle thingy ready for new cloth. 

The Peavey badge is a lump of aluminium and polished up a bit but its badly scratched so I might have to bring it flat with some wet and dry then polish it again. Getting there!

Beer consumed! , Grille cloth and bright work fitted.

Test fitted to make sure every thing is coolio. Every thing is indeed coolio.
    Speakers fitted, jobs a good un! Amp is all new and lovely, apart from needing a revalve and complete service! Thats all on my list of next to do!

So, all in all , a couple of Saturdays, a few quits worth of materials, some beer, some more beer, and a half decent looking amp that I can now throw money at to get the electronics all sorted! Happy bunny!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Polishing the Peavey logo makes a surprisingly huge difference and makes it look really classy despite the unfashionably spiky script!

The whole thing looks so much better than I expected given what I thought the wood would be like - very well done :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Polishing the Peavey logo makes a surprisingly huge difference and makes it look really classy despite the unfashionably spiky script!

The whole thing looks so much better than I expected given what I thought the wood would be like - very well done :).
    Thanks buddy, its renewed my interest in it, Im using it a lot more now, in fact I havent used the Vox in weeks. Its like a brand new toy.
  • That looks ace. The logo especially sets it off, despite the awful font! I've long liked peavey gear but looks they usually lack... That looks pretty boutique. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Looks great
  • It looks very nice but a change of grille cloth and a leather handle would make it even nicer at little cost.
    It looks very nice but a change of grille cloth and a leather handle would make it even nicer at little cost.
    Leather handles are naff, and fall apart too easily. Peavey use brick-outhouse steel and plastic ones for a reason ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I was surprised to see the handle is steel under the plastic, its still not quite what I would put on an amp with this weight. Moving it in your socks can be a little scary!
    robgilmo said:
    I was surprised to see the handle is steel under the plastic, its still not quite what I would put on an amp with this weight. Moving it in your socks can be a little scary!
    They break much less often than the leather ones. If you're worried, get another one the exact same size and put both metal strips inside one plastic sleeve - that will double its strength, which is certainly overkill since one is actually enough. It will also give you a spare sleeve if it ever splits, which they can do occasionally.