Amp Build - mounting the power transformer.

I'm working my way through my first amp build a the moment and I've come to the point where I need to mount the power transformer.

This might be a stupidly daft question and forgive me if it is, but...... there doesn't seem to be any extra hex-nuts in the kit - is this a mistake or am I supposed to remove the nuts on the transformer and use those to mount it to the chassis?

The chassis is obviously drilled to use the bolts protruding through the transformer but I don't know whether it's safe to remove and use the nuts to mount it.

TIA

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    If the nuts can be removed then it's normal to mount it with the same bolts that hold the transformer together, like this -

But with some, it is intended that the transformer is fitted with *both* sets of nuts, so it sits clear of the chassis by the thickness of the nuts - if the nuts and bolts are sealed in varnish when the transformer is assembled then it should be done like this -

Does that make sense?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Thanks @ICBM, that's great.  There does seem to be a bit of varnish on the nuts and ends of the bolts.

I assume there's no functional difference either way, though?

It's a Princeton type design but with a bit more oomph (about 30 watts) if that helps at all.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.