Kids, Computers, iMac?

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
I took my Daughter somewhere today (Explore Learning) it was for a review based on a writing competition she entered.

I wouldn’t sign up to explore learning and that’s a whole different thread but it did highlight something - we’ve never really introduced them to computers. She didn’t seem comfortable on the computer there and her only exposure really has been at school so far.

So - I’m looking at getting a desk and all in one computer setup at home. I know nothing so am looking at ideas - minimal is preferred. An old iMac perhaps? It won’t be used for gaming just educational bits and bobs.

Decided against a laptop as I don’t want it used in bedrooms or slouched across the floor etc.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    if not going imac route I can recommend lenovo, we bought a pc where the processor is in the monitor after our autistic son broke the old pc swinging his legs under the desk. Had this one for two years + now and been great, speakers sound good and he hasn't managed to break it yet. 

Bearing in mind he has had probably 5 ipads in that time.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Thanks will add Lenovo to the potentials list.

We have a Lenevo laptop - but for the reasons outlined in my post and the fact that they’ll almost certainly break a laptop I’m favouring a cheapish used all in one.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Mac route - get a mac mini 3 or 4 years old plenty good enough for daughter, cheap monitor and keyboard and away you go
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4117
    edited June 2019
    Chomebox? Nice and simple, very secure. Google's excellent parental controls will work on it.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    You can get a good used iMac for around £200  .. I have 3 of them all used for different purposes. They take up less horizontal space than a laptop, are very well built and onboard audio is pretty decent as well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the help so far. We finally managed to hit a few shops this weekend to look at options. Wife and kids are sold on the aesthetics  of an iMac - they are decent bits of kit so that’s the plan.

Would a 2011 iMac do the job for a couple of years? Maybe reassess needs after that an get something more up to date.

I know it won’t run the latest version OS etc but based on who’s using it and what for I can’t see it being an issue from my limited knowledge.

I do like the fact these older ones have an optical drive and are more user maintainable - chucking more RAM in etc.
    edited August 2019
    Danny1969 said:
    You can get a good used iMac for around £200  .. I have 3 of them all used for different purposes. They take up less horizontal space than a laptop, are very well built and onboard audio is pretty decent as well. 
    Good advice - and followed. Picked up a mint late 2013 with Magic Mouse 2 For ~ £250 (including my fuel costs to collect).

Kids are very happy. The next job is to work out how how to use it as a TV. We’ve only got one TV set in the house so it would be useful. We are using iplayer on it at the moment. A google search doesn’t seem to provide a decent solution.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mac route - get a mac mini 3 or 4 years old plenty good enough for daughter, cheap monitor and keyboard and away you go
    This.
    iMac's are great but the glass screen is a vulnerability with children.
    Too late - see above!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Good choice, sounds like you got a great deal.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Iamnobody said:
    Thanks for the help so far. We finally managed to hit a few shops this weekend to look at options. Wife and kids are sold on the aesthetics  of an iMac - they are decent bits of kit so that’s the plan.

Would a 2011 iMac do the job for a couple of years? Maybe reassess needs after that an get something more up to date.

I know it won’t run the latest version OS etc but based on who’s using it and what for I can’t see it being an issue from my limited knowledge.

I do like the fact these older ones have an optical drive and are more user maintainable - chucking more RAM in etc.
    Everytime i upgraded the OS I always regret it stay with the one you have.  Unless you get a separate Eye TV thing (which are a pain) the best TV route is the catch up services
    Iamnobody said:

Everytime i upgraded the OS I always regret it stay with the one you have.  Unless you get a separate Eye TV thing (which are a pain) the best TV route is the catch up services
    It came with Mojave loaded on so that’s what we are using. Thanks for confirming what my own research suggested about TV. The main channels all have catchup and we aren’t massive TV viewers anyway. It’s the age difference with the kids that’s starting to show. One wants CBeebies the other wants CBBC.

Of course before we’d actually had one our kids weren’t going to watch tv, eat sweets or anything else that might be ‘bad’. Yeah right...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:

It came with Mojave loaded on so that’s what we are using. Thanks for confirming what my own research suggested about TV. The main channels all have catchup and we aren’t massive TV viewers anyway. It’s the age difference with the kids that’s starting to show. One wants CBeebies the other wants CBBC.

Of course before we’d actually had one our kids weren’t going to watch tv, eat sweets or anything else that might be ‘bad’. Yeah right...
    Wait until they discover Youtube!

Ours never watch TV anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11799
    edited August 2019
    crunchman said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:

I don't even watch TV...the idea of watching something to someone else's schedule seems so archaic now.    YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video etc.  Watch when i have time, pause when i want, re-watch on a different device and continue where i left off.   Even actual television shows I end up watching on iPlayer or even NowTV.
    crunchman said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:

I don't even watch TV...the idea of watching something to someone else's schedule seems so archaic now.    YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video etc.  Watch when i have time, pause when i want, re-watch on a different device and continue where i left off.   Even actual television shows I end up watching on iPlayer or even NowTV.
    They’ve already discovered YouTube! I’ve put the kids version on the tablets. They also watch things on amazon firestick/prime. 

I hardly watch TV - I don’t remember watching any last week apart from a couple of episodes of the 10pm news. There’s no Question Time at the
    moment...

I’m much happier pissing about on here and watching YouTube etc.

Between the kids and the Mrs I don’t get a chance at the TV really.

Had Sat night to myself and rented a music docu. and watched that on the google play - didn’t switch the TV on.