Women’s World Cup

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 15871
Anyone else watching?  There’s been some cracking football.  The women’s game has come on massively and the games are getting much higher attendance figures than they used to.  The France v S.Korea game looked like it was full.

(can anyone tempted to make derogatory/sexist/puerile comments step away from the keyboard please.  This is 2019, not 1970.)
Trump: A narcissistic luminous orange ball bag and Rome burning in man form.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 404
    I agree. Man U wouldn't stand a chance against these ladies.  Very skilled.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 3183
    Less physicality, more gameplay. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2632
    Yep, I've watched France v Korea and England v Scotland so far, both good games, although i think France are going to be hard to beat.

There's a lot less play-acting going on!

Did anyone bring the petits-fours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 12467
    Women's team sports are not much of a novelty in our house, my wife has 62 rugby caps for Wales and played in four World Cups, and we're thoroughly enjoying the football.

The games are generally more entertaining for a neutral and it really brings home how frustrating it is watching players diving and feigning horrific injuries for minutes on end in the men's game.

There's very little arguing with the referees in the women's game either, though all these things will doubtless arrive with more money and TV rights at stake. FIFA are so corrupt themselves that they have zero interest in penalising cheating on the pitch. 
    2reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 110
    I don’t mind a bit of lasses football. Some fairly good players and even the goalkeepers are improving, thankfully.  As a Sunderland supporter it’s also nice to see quite a few of our ex players in the squad. 

I was quite gutted at the last world cup final defeat against Japan. We should have had that game sewn up. 

I am not much of a fan of the way the women’s leagues are set up in England though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1129
    Really enjoying it too. The only thing that is annoying me is the lack of decent coverage. The BBC would rather hide half the matches on the red button in low resolution. The BBC likes to bang on about equality, but obviously it doesn't apply to sport (or presenter's pay). Luckily, we have a smart TV so we can stream hd from the BBC iPlayer, but we shouldn't have to. They should, heaven forbid!, cancel a few bargain hunt reruns and stick all the games on the main two channels. 

I'm planning to watch all the games I can. I hope England have a good run.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1445
    Emp_Fab said:
    Anyone else watching?  There’s been some cracking football.  The women’s game has come on massively and the games are getting much higher attendance figures than they used to.  The France v S.Korea game looked like it was full.

(can anyone tempted to make derogatory/sexist/puerile comments step away from the keyboard please.  This is 2019, not 1970.)
    Has Emp_Fab gone all pious on us? And no, I'm not about to burst into some febrile delinquent song.

Whilst ladies football is yet another demand on my time and patronage - I'm struggling just supporting one mens team after their pathetic display in a certain recent final (no, I'm not a spud) - I think I'm warming to the idea of womens football as it gains momentum.

We might be able to watch some great football at a more reasonable price, than the shirt-off-back loyalty-challenging football we see in the mens Premiership.

Alas, this world cup has come a bit too soon for me to get stuck in. I want a summer away from football, so I can recharge my mental fortitude for the next season's shenanigans.

But, now Emp_Fab has brought this to out attention, I just might find a screen somewhere .....
    We choose to go to the Moon! We choose to go to the Moon...We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too." JF Kennedy 1963.

For Sale: Apple MacBook Pro (http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133742/fs-apple-macbook-pro-15-retina-995?new=1)
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 614
    The ladyfootball is ok, but the ladypundits are truly dreadful. If you were to play a drinking game where you had to down a shot every time they said a footballing cliche you’d die of alcohol poisoning before full time. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 2583
    I fell asleep watching it, too slow and pedestrian for me 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It's like the men's game. But with the less tits and more dicks.
    TACOMA NARROWS BRIDGE DISASTER
    Dominus Spiritus Invictus
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 3511
    I watched the England Scotland game, it was quite enjoyable and a reasonable standard, difficult to equate it to levels with men's because the men's game has become so fast.

Like watching an Italian 2nd division match I guess.  Certain of the defenders would be better than in the men's side.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 638
    I’m hoping that the women will demonstrate that football does not need diving, feigning injury, time wasting, arguing with the ref, arguing for 10 minutes before a penalty gets taken.  And thereby show a degree of class that most men footballers will hopefully be embarrassed by
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    sev112 said:
    I’m hoping that the women will demonstrate that football does not need diving, feigning injury, time wasting, arguing with the ref, arguing for 10 minutes before a penalty gets taken.  And thereby show a degree of class that most men footballers will hopefully be embarrassed by
     ...... but not so much as to appear ignorant and/or naive.
    We choose to go to the Moon! We choose to go to the Moon...We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too." JF Kennedy 1963.

For Sale: Apple MacBook Pro (http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133742/fs-apple-macbook-pro-15-retina-995?new=1)
    Another comment that's slightly off topic ....

I've had the pleasure* (and pain**) of umpiring women's hockey games, in a season where I was umpiring both men's and women's games at various levels.

The main difference I noticed is the lack of strength, and there were times when I was wishing the women would just fvcking hammer that ball down the touchline, and bloody well run after it. It was all a bit slow and soft 'n' fluffy round the edges. There was grit, but it wasn't enough. There was skill in the upper levels, but not enough. Eventually got bored with umpiring the women.

* no, not THAT kind of pleasure. Sadly.

** no, not THAT kind of pain. Thankfully.

And then this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600795

THIRTEEN - nil, that's almost bringing the game into disrepute!  :o

But seriously, I watched the match (on BBC4) and it became embarrassing.  Are USA that good?  Or are Thailand that bad - if so, how did they qualify?

• notanonnotanon Frets: 303
    I need to catch up. What is it like for professional fouls, dives, . . . 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 12467
    notanon said:
    Pretty much zero, except for the one Argentinian player who got three players booked by the usual method of holding her face and screaming when anyone got too close. 

Shame, she was obviously their most talented player, but a nasty little egomaniac too. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 8227
     Nitefly said:
    And then this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600795

THIRTEEN - nil, that's almost bringing the game into disrepute!  o

But seriously, I watched the match (on BBC4) and it became embarrassing.  Are USA that good?  Or are Thailand that bad - if so, how did they qualify?
    Quick google - qualification  is on a regional/ confederation  basis and Thailand were 4th of 25 countries in Asia and USA where 1st of 28 in North America. Thailand apparently scraping through after a surprise poor performance by North Korea. There are 24 countries playing in France in the finals whereas it’s been 16 previously. 
    Still, Thailand themselves no strangers to the big score line having beaten Indonesia 13-0, Timor 8-0, Cambodia 11-0 and Malaysia 8-0 last year. 

What I was going to comment about women’s football is that you have a bigger range of standards; to some extent at club level the best players can excel because the overall standard hasn’t caught up. So I guess I’d see this as evidence of this.

Who invaded Spain in the eight century?
    The Moops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 4310
    sweepy said:
    I fell asleep watching it, too slow and pedestrian for me 
    Well if you think they are slow and pedestrian, whatever you do please do not watch a West Brom game as you might never wake up
    If there's anything good about me, I'm the only one who knows
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    p90fool said:
    notanon said:
    Pretty much zero, except for the one Argentinian player who got three players booked by the usual method of holding her face and screaming when anyone got too close. 

Shame, she was obviously their most talented player, but a nasty little egomaniac too. 
    Yes, that was the only thing that spoiled the Japan - Argentina game.  (Well, that and the lack of goals...)

Hopefully the England team will have taken note of that.

What I was going to comment about women’s football is that you have a bigger range of standards; to some extent at club level the best players can excel because the overall standard hasn’t caught up. So I guess I’d see this as evidence of this.

Agreed on range of standards - I can't recall Thailand stringing more than 3 passes together throughout the whole game, whereas USA had real fluency, and seemed to be able to regain possession easily whenever they lost it.

I think also USA players were generally bigger and more physically fit as a team.

Nitefly said:

Agreed on range of standards - I can't recall Thailand stringing more than 3 passes together throughout the whole game, whereas USA had real fluency, and seemed to be able to regain possession easily whenever they lost it.

I think also USA players were generally bigger and more physically fit as a team.

I think if you go back into the history of the men's game you did get those kind of scores/ differences but they've eroded over the decades. Having looked at the Thai wikipedia page this morning that's a national team that's only existed since 2014 so it's very early days for it as a professional sport. Male footballers are effectively spotted as young boys and nurtured through a system so by their late teams they are professional sports people. I doubt if many female footballers will have gone through something similar so we are a generation or two away from a more consistent approach. 

Apart from a couple of hilights I didn't see anything of the match itself but looking at a summary online there is also a sense that the scoreline flatters the USA slightly as the majority of the goals were late on and Thailand had effectively crumbled by then.   

The Moops.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 13302
    having beaten Indonesia 13-0, Timor 8-0, Cambodia 11-0 and Malaysia 8-0 last year. 

Yes and the focus on Ashleigh Barty recently would suggest this in other areas. Barty took time out of tennis to play professional cricket and went from being an amateur who played in the back garden to professional in the Big Bash over 2015-16. Now she's won a Grand Slam tennis event. Within the confines of the modern game, I can't imagine this happening in male sport. A guy isn't going to play tennis, get picked for Surrey to bat in the middle order, and then return to tennis after a few years out and win a Grand Slam. 

This is not a criticism of female sport: it's a reflection of how it is right now. As it grows, the sport itself will get better. 
    having beaten Indonesia 13-0, Timor 8-0, Cambodia 11-0 and Malaysia 8-0 last year. 

Yes and the focus on Ashleigh Barty recently would suggest this in other areas. Barty took time out of tennis to play professional cricket and went from being an amateur who played in the back garden to professional in the Big Bash over 2015-16. Now she's won a Grand Slam tennis event. Within the confines of the modern game, I can't imagine this happening in male sport. A guy isn't going to play tennis, get picked for Surrey to bat in the middle order, and then return to tennis after a few years out and win a Grand Slam. 

This is not a criticism of female sport: it's a reflection of how it is right now. As it grows, the sport itself will get better. 
    Absolutely. If there is someone out there now spotting 8 year old girls ( in a non creepy way!) as potential professional footballers that still makes us 10+ years away from a truly professional game. But to do that well you need not only the scouts and the infrastructure but also the buy in from the girls and their families ( and lots of them -  the majority of those 8 year olds never actually become professional players) so it may be more like twenty years before we have a consistent game. 

The Moops.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 2538
    Do they swap their football shirts after the game  =)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 2617

Absolutely. If there is someone out there now spotting 8 year old girls ( in a non creepy way!) as potential professional footballers that still makes us 10+ years away from a truly professional game. But to do that well you need not only the scouts and the infrastructure but also the buy in from the girls and their families ( and lots of them -  the majority of those 8 year olds never actually become professional players) so it may be more like twenty years before we have a consistent game. 

Until Women's football can fill big stadiums and attract sponsorship that is never going to happen.

I've seen the mostly empty grounds at their club matches in this country. Until Women's football gets to a higher standard there will only be minority interest. 

To put it in context, Australia, currently FIFA ranked sixth in the world were beaten 7-0 by a 15 year old boys team....

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html
    Well what happened to Scotland the other night?  3 - 0 up with 15 minutes to play against Argentina, and ended up with a draw!

And now the first game of the last 16 ends up 1 - 1 after extra time and a penalty shoot-out, and Norway beat Australia by 4 - 1.  I wonder how many more there will be now that the minnows have gone.