First amp build - how am I doing?

What's Hot

I've decided to finally build an amp - I've always wanted to and I started on the weekend.

So far I've mounted the components to the main eyelet board and screwed a few things to the chassis.  As I've never done this before would anyone with vastly more experience and know-how be willing to check that I'm not going to fry myself the first time I turn this thing on, please?

Once it's finished I'm thinking about sending it off for a check-over before ever switching it on - it would be nice for whoever tests it out to tell me it's a grand job and nothing needs doing.  I live in hope!

This is the schematic:

https://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/6a14hp_schem.jpg

This is my work thus far - note that I haven't actually soldered much in place yet:

https://imgur.com/a/YhQLPkI

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Looks like a Princeton Reverb running 6L6s/GZ34.

PRO TIP: Drill the board to chassis mounting holes before doing anything else and check it all lines up without fouling anything. Don't forget the insulation board underneath! You'll thank me later.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Thanks @RiftAmps ;

Yep, that's about the size of it, a higher power Princeton.

I've been sent a copper cap rectifier - I assume this is a direct swap for an ordinary tube rectifier - I.E I can use a TR if I prefer?

There's quite a bit of room in the chassis, I've checked that the board fits and I don't think there will be any issue there, although I'm going to find some better mounting screws - the kit came with sheet metal self tapping screws and I just don't see that as practical or robust.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3134
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Thanks @RiftAmps ;

Yep, that's about the size of it, a higher power Princeton.

I've been sent a copper cap rectifier - I assume this is a direct swap for an ordinary tube rectifier - I.E I can use a TR if I prefer?
      Providing you connect up the 2xYellow 5v wires to pins 2 and 8, you can run a valve rectifier. Based on that schematic/PT specs I'd be inclined to only run a GZ34 with 6L6s.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk