Westone Thunder 1 upgrade.

What's Hot
Hi all.  I was thinking of replacing the brass bridge on my Westone Thunder 1 as it is missing a few tiny allen nuts.  I have a spare 52 vintage tele reissue bridge (6 saddle) doing nothing. Is it easy to just swap the bridges over ie Do i just unscrew existing bridge and line up the replacement as near as i can to the already predrilled holes from the original etc. Many thanks for any help with this..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72319
    I don't think those two bridges are compatible in any way. The Tele bridge will have a cut-out for the pickup which probably won't line up with the pickup cavity on the Westone even if you did want to change it to a Tele pickup.

You need something like this -

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/All_Hardware_and_Parts_by_Instrument/Electric_Guitar_Parts/Electric_Guitar_Bridges_and_Tailpieces/Non-trem_Electric_Guitar_Bridges/Gotoh_Hardtail_Bridge.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2019-06-gp&pref_currency=P&shipcalc=UK&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoENNr3Iy5x33BvqjKFwTmzjsOg1trvK8zPubcaEnr84-3-gvUznpPcaAqjBEALw_wcB

- and even then, I would take the old bridge off first and measure the positions of the string-through holes, since if they're not in the same places and spacing, it won't fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Why not source some replacement allen nuts ? :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited June 2019
    OPTION 1
    Ascertain the dimensions of the stock Westone saddles. Order replacement saddles.

OPTION 2
    Ascertain the dimensions and thread pitch of the stock Westone bridge height adjustment grub screws. Order replacement screws.

OPTION 3
    Contact @HarrySeven to enquire whether he has any spare Westone Thunder guitar bridge parts stashed away. Even if H7 has no original Westone parts, he might be able to advise on compatible bridges from other manufacturers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Jalapeno said:
    Why not source some replacement allen nuts ? :/

This was my first idea but then i just thought maybe i could switch the bridge. ICBM is of course correct it will not fit anyway.
    As Funkfingers suggests i will need to either replace the saddles or get some allen nuts. I wil try @HarrySeven for any bridge parts for westone thunder 1 ?. anyone recommend where else i may get the parts i need?.  Many thanks  to all for your help and time with this. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Allen bolts (or screws)?
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    For your allens try an industrial fastener supplier
      go there with a couple of the allens you require-they may not have them in stock - mine can usually get any next day
       they'll want to sell you a whole box -take it,thats how they operate then spread the goodness to other Westoners

they're usually called  something imaginative like Trent Fastners /Mersey fastners etc
                                                     thats actually a good sign

probably wont be able to do Brass but may do Stainless        

:)

When logic and proportion
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72319
    The Allen screws are an industry standard size and available from any guitar parts vendor - you just need the far-east/metric rather than US threads.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2399
    As @ICBM says these are metric, 3mm x 10mm
    I got mine from ebay for my Thunders, you'll need oval point, or cone point screws, flat point will move about as you adjust them.

prowla said:
    Allen bolts (or screws)?
    They are the tiny little screws that adjust the saddle heights. They are  as @Sarge says oval. sorry if ive confused anybody by saying allen nuts i have no idea about any of this. Really grateful for  all the help. I'm gonna do a ebay search.
    edited June 2019
    I have found a supplier but have no clue which to select. drop down menu says M4 diameter = 4mm which is the  smallest with socket wrench size 2mm this goes on as M5 M6 M8 M10  etc with the socket wrench size increasing as 2.5mm 3mm 4mm and 5mm.? would i select M3 = 3mm x 10 mm?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    JAYJO said:
    I have found a supplier but have no clue which to select. drop down menu says M4 diameter = 4mm which is the  smallest with socket wrench size 2mm this goes on as M5 M6 M8 M10  etc with the socket wrench size increasing as 2.5mm 3mm 4mm and 5mm.? would i select M3 = 3mm x 10 mm?
    Measure one you have ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    JAYJO said:
    Measure one you have ....
    OK will have a go at measuring one cheers
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    As @Sarge has already said, they should be M3 (3mm) x 10mm. Loads of sellers on eBay. Stainless Steel would be good - any grade stainless will do, (A2 is typical grade, A4 is marine grade so more corrosion resistant etc) 
    As @Sarge has already said, they should be M3 (3mm) x 10mm. Loads of sellers on eBay. Stainless Steel would be good - any grade stainless will do, (A2 is typical grade, A4 is marine grade so more corrosion resistant etc) 
    Thanks mate much appreciate your hep with this.    
     Ordered the 3m x10mm only cost £1.55 for ten. Unfortunately they are a bit too long i think i should have got 6mm length. Anyway ive put two in for now. The bad news is the selector switch has snapped off so i now need a replacement one of them lol... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2399
    JAYJO said:
     Ordered the 3m x10mm only cost £1.55 for ten. Unfortunately they are a bit too long i think i should have got 6mm length. Anyway ive put two in for now. The bad news is the selector switch has snapped off so i now need a replacement one of them lol... 
    If it is a Japanese thunder (pre 1987) then a standard box type 3 way switch will do.
    This type of thing : 
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/390322262654
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Those switches are utter shite.

Take the opportunity to buy something better. An Asian imitation of a sprung leaf toggle switch would suffice.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.