The Best Quality Budget Basses

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Congratulations and damn! (I could have sold you my blue one.)

In answer to your question, yes, with a decent set up, your example will be as nice as the review examples.

One clue you can take from the review video is that the Aspiration Standard has potential for upgrading the pickups and control circuitry, should you wish. (At different times, I have tried EMG-JV and Duncan Basslines Lightnin’ Rods pickups in mine.)

Thank you for the review link. I had seen it before but had forgotten about the availability of John East active circuitry for Aspiration models. (Bridgehouse raves about their products.)

Money no object, I would try at least one of Oil City Pickups Overkill models.
    Ah I went passive - which one did you have? I couldn't find a cheaper one that someone could post to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don't know what they were/are worth, but I used to have my bass lessons with Martin from Overwater.
    I've got a chance to play it today and I'm really happy with it. I wish they made 33" cheapies, but 34" is nice with a pick
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Schnozz said:
    I went passive - which one did you have?
    I had (and still have) an Aspiration Standard with an erroneous Aspiration Deluxe truss rod cover plate. The active pickups and control circuitry were my own addition. I pulled them out when I was thinking to sell the bass on. 
    Be seeing you.
    edited June 2019
    Schnozz said:
    I went passive - which one did you have?
    I had (and still have) an Aspiration Standard with an erroneous Aspiration Deluxe truss rod cover plate. The active pickups and control circuitry were my own addition. I pulled them out when I was thinking to sell the bass on. 
    What does yours look like? Mine is like an indigo metallic with Overwater pickups (covered pole pieces).

I might go for some with more aggression further down the line and my first thought is Dimarzio Model Js. I'm really impressed with the quality of the build though - It's flawless and luckily, it's as new (but very dusty at the moment). 

https://images.guitarguitar.co.uk/cdn/large/130/PX161105303509002f.jpg
    Mine looked like the photograph except it is painted metallic blue. To the best of my recollection, I sold the pickups on eBay.
    Be seeing you.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Am planning on going to Guitar Guitar over the weekend to try out a few budget basses and see what I like. 

Don't currently own a bass but as I'm putting more time into recording at home on Reaper, I feel like I could definitely do with a bass.

For a first bass would you lot recommend a Precision bass or a PJ pickup configuration? 
    edited June 2019
    duotone said:
    Am planning on going to Guitar Guitar over the weekend to try out a few budget basses and see what I like. 

Don't currently own a bass but as I'm putting more time into recording at home on Reaper, I feel like I could definitely do with a bass.

For a first bass would you lot recommend a Precision bass or a PJ pickup configuration? 
    I would say you're fine with P, JJ, PJ, or Soapbars, but the latter tends to sound more modern and may not be the sound in your head (or on your records). I don't really like an MM pickup, because I feel it's less versatile/practical and doesn't blend in very well, but it's not supposed to.

My personal favourite is a P and then Soapbars. I pay a lot more attention to the neck profile of basses than I do for guitars, particularly where a P config is concerned.
    Schnozz said:
    Soapbars ... sound more modern and may not be the sound in your head (or on your records). 
    The Seymour Duncan Basslines NYC Soapbar pickups pretty much amount to twin J coils. Four conductor plus shield output cable allow all manner of coil interconnection permutations. 
    Be seeing you.
  • TimmyO said:
    Used Squier Classic Vibe range 
    This is the truth.

Bye!

I'm a week on with the Tanglewood/Overwater and it was actually the software on my laptop that was making the pickups sound quiet (it was looking for a guitar), so now it's sounding great - I would say the pickups are a bit rounder than a vintage pickup (Bartolini territory). I won't be changing anything for now and just need to clean one of the pots, thanks to the dust it came with.
    The stock pickups are the generic stud poles 'n' underslung ceramic bar magnet type. 
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The stock pickups are the generic stud poles 'n' underslung ceramic bar magnet type. 
    Which in the right context can do a pretty decent passable bass tone.. 
    Which in the right context can do a pretty decent passable bass tone.. 
    Yeah, they're cutting through more than sitting in the mix, which will help while I get back up to speed and get my technique sorted. I may go for something else in the future, but I won't be changing the bass itself.
    edited July 2019
    Anyone know what happened to the Squier Jaguar basses? I used to see these readily available online, but now most places don't seem to have any in stock.

Are they bringing out new models or discontinuing them?
    duotone said:
    Anyone know what happened to the Squier Jaguar basses? I used to see these readily available online, but now most places don't seem to have any in stock.

Possibly - I'd wait for Summer Namm before continuing your search (may be a discount on the old models too)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TimmyO said:
    Used Squier Classic Vibe range 
    This is the truth.
    Or a vintage modified. Got one and sold my USA precision as I preferred it  amazing for the money
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    duotone said:

If you're looking for short scale PJ configuration, go for the Ibanez Talman short scale bass. Incredible for the price. The full scale are good too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    duotone said:

If you're looking for short scale PJ configuration, go for the Ibanez Talman short scale bass. Incredible for the price. The full scale are good too. 
    Thanks @5redlights ;

Will have a look. I’ve been looking at Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Precision bass lately, I think this is the one I will most likely go for:

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/fender-squier-classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass-3-tone-sunburst-laurel.html?source=shopping&sku=fen0374510500&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cHl3aug5AIVQ7DtCh1Z-giBEAQYBCABEgJQYPD_BwE
    duotone said:
    duotone said:

Thanks @5redlights ;

Will have a look. I’ve been looking at Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Precision bass lately, I think this is the one I will most likely go for:

https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/fender-squier-classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass-3-tone-sunburst-laurel.html?source=shopping&sku=fen0374510500&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cHl3aug5AIVQ7DtCh1Z-giBEAQYBCABEgJQYPD_BwE
    Make sure you buy in person - I saw some Indian Laurel up close and it looked absolutely awful.

I'm past the honeymoon period with my Tanglewood Overwater and I still think it's fantastic, so I'd recommend having a look at their PJ, but it's 34" scale.

There's those Ibanez PJ Mezzos with 32" scale, but I've not tried one out yet.