Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    He looks like he’s been crying.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Well Disney are fucked then. They got Mickey ears all about the place!!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Just change the headstock shape a little, they'll stop bothering you.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    It seems an odd video and not really sure who they are targeting.
    its the sort of thing you might have seen in a trade magazine interview. 

Sort of we cannot allow the industry to copy our designs blah blah and put the trade on notice. (not sure that genie is going back in the bottle)

You tube or social is not really the place. Also the bottom line is nobody cease and desist’s until the letter lands.

Think it put Mark in a difficult spot as his persona all through the Norm days was the guitar bloke you would like to have a beer with. No some corporate dude preaching corporate gospel.

hey ho we live in interesting times
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    I don't even know why I bother with trying to have an opinion about this video.  Pointlessness the video is.

Mark Agnesi's presentation style became really old, really fast, some time ago already - to me.  Not quite as fast as Phil X managed to do it, but I don't want to watch either anymore.

Or whatever.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    It's gibson for the trump generation
    Grump?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    He talks about the Gibson DNA!? Surely that remained in Kalamazoo with the Heritage brand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Video removed by user!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Surely there is some irony in this...

https://i.imgur.com/bBvHIOd.png
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    It’s my bat and my ball and I’m going home  :'(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3381
    edited June 2019
    JezWynd said:
    Bit of a side rant but... is there anything more annoying than a talking head 'talking to camera' and looking in another direction. It was just about okay when it was done in B&W capturing the action vibe but since those days it's become an accepted convention; and it looks stupid.

Agreed. Someone pinching your last chip is probably more irritating though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7131
    This whole episode is just bizarre.

Gibson's JC needs to lay off the Kool Aid and concentrate on making better instruments and cutting margins, so the guitars aren't overpriced compared to the competition.

Maybe lay off some of the advisors?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    Expect a "We screwed up, we're sorry" apology video next. Seems that most everyone just wants great QC and reasonable prices. Fix that first, Agnesi.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11564
    tFB Trader
    Gibson's restructure seems to have employed lawyers first and luthiers second...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10234
    tFB Trader
    Gibson's restructure seems to have employed lawyers first and luthiers second...

Classic Trump era US policy: engage bluster ... then back up and pretend that's not what you meant.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Bloody hell it's been taken down before i even watched it, obviously went down well then  :)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    I think fair enough for them to want to protect their brand and trademarks, maybe not quite the right way to deliver the message, and to the wrong audience.  Wonder if they decided that themselves or had a few "WTF?" responses.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10234
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I think fair enough for them to want to protect their brand and trademarks, maybe not quite the right way to deliver the message, and to the wrong audience.  Wonder if they decided that themselves or had a few "WTF?" responses.
    Totally fair to protect a brand or trademark ... and Gibson, Fender and Rickenbacker have been doing that pretty consistently in recent years. The issue is that firstly this a particularly strange way of doing things.
    The other issue is that while Rickenbacker have a pretty much 100% record of shutting down the copyists ... this is because they've been consistently on the ball and aggressive in their defense ... Fender and Gibson have let so much slip over the years that clawing back lost ground is practically impossible. Witness the already quoted PRS case that Gibson lost... or the fact that anyone can make a three pickup trem guitar with a Strat body shape ... all Fender could hang onto was the headstock.
    The public bluster about their trademarks is more about showing the strength of their new corporate team than protecting anything. What it actually showed was that Gibson are still a bit of a PR nightmare, and are still having trouble staying 'on message'.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7131
    edited June 2019
    Lawyers and legal teams justifying fees?

Accountants trying to add more revenue to balance sheets?

Overpaid advisors justifying income?

Or

They could just build great guitars and employ great luthiers, guitar builders.... hmmm

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom