Gibson warning video over trademark infringements

What's Hot

Comments

• It's not very authentic to remove a video that you believe in because you've got some negative responses.

Bye!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    Gibson Glossary: 
    We are protecting our heritage - We will sue you
    You've been warned - I'm officially threatening you on the Internet, we will sue you
    Gibson is always innovating - We haven't done nothing much other than the robo tuners and Firebird X
    Hollywood, call us, we want to work with advertisers and film makers - We want cheap advertising and product placement
    We listened to customers - This product is what you want, give us your money
    We invested in the factory - We already spent some money, now give us yours
    Play authentic - Give us your money
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 823
    If I were Gibson I'd use what they have... i.e. put their Gibson headstock on their Epiphones and surely they would kill a lot of the fake stuff off.

On the other hand it's got a lot of people talking about Gibson! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2019

Totally fair to protect a brand or trademark ... and Gibson, Fender and Rickenbacker have been doing that pretty consistently in recent years. The issue is that firstly this a particularly strange way of doing things.
    The other issue is that while Rickenbacker have a pretty much 100% record of shutting down the copyists ... this is because they've been consistently on the ball and aggressive in their defense ... Fender and Gibson have let so much slip over the years that clawing back lost ground is practically impossible. Witness the already quoted PRS case that Gibson lost... or the fact that anyone can make a three pickup trem guitar with a Strat body shape ... all Fender could hang onto was the headstock.
    The public bluster about their trademarks is more about showing the strength of their new corporate team than protecting anything. What it actually showed was that Gibson are still a bit of a PR nightmare, and are still having trouble staying 'on message'.

On the BIB. I agree.
    It is not clear from the video what  is being proposed. But I very much doubt they will go after Tokai.

More likely is that they have engaged a new team of lawyers, who will have less tolerance, or zero tolerance, for builders who put Gibson on the headstock, and who do not put their own name on the headstock. Of course, the strategy will be different for a single high end guitar advertised for sale, when compared to a consignnent of Chinese made guitars crossing a border.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    So does this mean that Gibson are going to go after the likes of Eastman Guitars with their "Mickey Mouse Ears" and "Moustache" headstock?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Ugh I found it too embarrassing to watch all the way through when it was there, but now it's gone I want it  :/
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    You spend years building a rep as 'one of us' at norms with your satirical 'make gibson great' content, sell out,  then throw it all away with one ill conceived video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I wonder if Norm has sent him a message..?

”How’s the new job going? Lol..”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited June 2019
    Smacks of desperation.

tbh, if they were serious, they’d just instruct lawyers. However, because they know a good lawyer will pick holes in their argument, tie up $1000s in legal fees and they will ultimately loose (refer PRS Singlecut), this was an ill conceived spouting off. 

Bad for the brand image and alerts the consumer to other options that may be available....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30873
    That jacket he's wearing.....I believe Langlitz leathers own the copyright....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30873
    I also notice they've not mentioned the Nitefly....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14177
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Smacks of desperation.

tbh, if they were serious, they’d just instruct lawyers. However, because they know a good lawyer will pick holes in their argument, tie up $1000s in legal fees and they will ultimately loose (refer PRS Singlecut), this was an ill conceived spouting off. 

Bad for the brand image and alerts the consumer to other options that may be available....
    I think PRS were one of the guitar businesses with just enough capital to take Gibson on - Can't recall his name, but a big early financial backer of PRS is/was some big hot shot lawyer

I can recall 2 instances in the past - The Duesenberg V and the Tom Anderson Bull Dog - Both companies only produced very low numbers - Something like a 150 V's made - Both companies received the letter of intent from Gibson's lawyers to cease production and/or go to court - With such low sales figures, hence low profit, it was not worth them getting involved in any court case - So they just rolled over and called it a day - ie The threat of legal action is all that was required

I dare say ESP via Navigator, Edwards, Tokai, Heritage and Collings + Eastman could all be potential targets

Yet surely James Curleigh (CEO) should know, that every pair of jeans looks the same/similar - Only major difference is the name/logo on the arse pocket - You don't hear of Levi taking Timberland, Gant or Wrangler to court

Plus every 14 fret acoustic guitar is just about a copy of a Martin if you applied the letter of the law - Yet equally you could just say it is the shape of an acoustic guitar - Like all violins have the same shape
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3388
    Paging @TerryMorgan
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18659
    'guitars4you said:
    impmann said:
    Smacks of desperation.

I think PRS were one of the guitar businesses with just enough capital to take Gibson on - Can't recall his name, but a big early financial backer of PRS is/was some big hot shot dentist

FTFY  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10247
    tFB Trader
    Skipped said:

Totally fair to protect a brand or trademark ... and Gibson, Fender and Rickenbacker have been doing that pretty consistently in recent years. The issue is that firstly this a particularly strange way of doing things.
    The other issue is that while Rickenbacker have a pretty much 100% record of shutting down the copyists ... this is because they've been consistently on the ball and aggressive in their defense ... Fender and Gibson have let so much slip over the years that clawing back lost ground is practically impossible. Witness the already quoted PRS case that Gibson lost... or the fact that anyone can make a three pickup trem guitar with a Strat body shape ... all Fender could hang onto was the headstock.
    The public bluster about their trademarks is more about showing the strength of their new corporate team than protecting anything. What it actually showed was that Gibson are still a bit of a PR nightmare, and are still having trouble staying 'on message'.

On the BIB. I agree.
    It is not clear from the video what  is being proposed. But I very much doubt they will go after Tokai.

More likely is that they have engaged a new team of lawyers, who will have less tolerance, or zero tolerance, for builders who put Gibson on the headstock, and who do not put their own name on the headstock. Of course, the strategy will be different for a single high end guitar advertised for sale, when compared to a consignnent of Chinese made guitars crossing a border. 

They stand zero chance of stemming the tide of Chibsons at source as that would involve taking on the Chinese government ... and I doubt even Gibson have the money or the stupidity to play that game. All they can do is rely on the various customs authorities to check and weed out the fakes ... and that seems to be a lottery. 

As someone else said ... simply putting the open book headstock on the Epiphone range would help to wipe out a lot of their competition. Better still 'doing a PRS' and replacing Epiphone with a 'Gibson SE' range with the coveted logo as well as the headstock shape ... that would totally pull the rug out from under the feet of the likes of Tokai. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IMO If Gibson were making their guitars to the actual spec of the late 50's (correct logo, tailpiece position etc) then they wouldn't need to post this video. 

I can no longer see the video on youtube, Anyone have a link? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    IMO If Gibson were making their guitars to the actual spec of the late 50's (correct logo, tailpiece position etc) then they wouldn't need to post this video. 

I'd like to see it as well, if possible.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Doubt it’s around now since Gibson pulled it off YouTube. 
  • Tenebrous said:
    IMO If Gibson were making their guitars to the actual spec of the late 50's (correct logo, tailpiece position etc) then they wouldn't need to post this video. 

Doubtless the video must have been downloaded by plenty of people. Unfortunately I have a feeling that Gibson might threaten action against any re-posters for copyright infringement. ;)

I wonder if they have been taking public relation tips from McDonalds, given that it all comes across as being about as well-advised as the McLibel case. Unfortunately such attitudes seem to be pretty much a central part of the American corporate mindset.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10247
    tFB Trader
    Tenebrous said:

Doubtless the video must have been downloaded by plenty of people. Unfortunately I have a feeling that Gibson might threaten action against any re-posters for copyright infringement. ;)

I wonder if they have been taking public relation tips from McDonalds, given that it all comes across as being about as well-advised as the McLibel case. Unfortunately such attitudes seem to be pretty much a central part of the American corporate mindset.
    Tactlessness 'holier than thou' attitudes, bullying and U turns are all part of the Trump administration mindset ... why should their big business be any different? :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom