Premier League 2019/2020 Season

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9709
    Freebird said:
    I'd like to think Norwich can stay up. If past form is anything to go by we'll start well, finish mid-table, sell our best players to teams with more money and then get swiftly relegated the following season. 
     Due to the way the Premier League has progressed, the promoted teams are always the favourites to go straight back down again. The best hope is to gain a foothold, so that they can take advantage of the TV money in the following seasons. I followed the relegation battle last season and it's not pretty to watch.
    Whilst I'm still sensitive about the fact it was the Villa that stopped us getting back up there, in many ways I'm glad we aren't back in the premier nor have any hope to get back there, because every week is basically just "maybe we could nick a point" or bracing yourself to be the whipping boys and after a while that is quite tiring. But also, breaking that mould seems rather pointless - when we finished 8th or whatever it was, where do you go from there? That was as good as it was ever going to be, there was no point bankrupting the club to try to push on as we'd have no chance, but of you don't then fans think there's "no ambition". I think we are a mid table championship club so I'm now happy to accept that for a while.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2019
    Whilst I'm still sensitive about the fact it was the Villa that stopped us getting back up there, in many ways I'm glad we aren't back in the premier nor have any hope to get back there, because every week is basically just "maybe we could nick a point" or bracing yourself to be the whipping boys and after a while that is quite tiring. But also, breaking that mould seems rather pointless - when we finished 8th or whatever it was, where do you go from there? That was as good as it was ever going to be, there was no point bankrupting the club to try to push on as we'd have no chance, but of you don't then fans think there's "no ambition". I think we are a mid table championship club so I'm now happy to accept that for a while.
    The day when the top 6 bugger off to a Euro Super League can't come soon enough, and maybe then we can get our game back! 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Freebird said:
    I'd like to think Norwich can stay up. If past form is anything to go by we'll start well, finish mid-table, sell our best players to teams with more money and then get swiftly relegated the following season. 
     Due to the way the Premier League has progressed, the promoted teams are always the favourites to go straight back down again. The best hope is to gain a foothold, so that they can take advantage of the TV money in the following seasons. I followed the relegation battle last season and it's not pretty to watch.
    To be honest, being back in the Prem is sort of nice, but I share a lot of your sentiment. Its just a pointless existence since you know you're never going to win it and each week is the same old grind. I changed my view on football quite a few years ago, and to be honest, as long as the players put in their shift, that's what gives me the pleasure.

Its been years since a Villa team has looked like they care. We have that now, so I'm pretty content, irrespective of which league we're in.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    Freebird said:
    The day when the top 6 bugger off to a Euro Super League can't come soon enough, and maybe then we can get our game back! 
    I've said that a few times - I'm never sure if I mean it or not, but I know where you are coming from 

But even if it did happen and they receive more revenue, plus more silly transfer fees, with even sillier big wages, there has to be some compensation back to the 'regular' clubs if they come to pick of our emerging players/youngsters - Almost a 'tax' to the EFL/Premier League and club as compensation/punishment - Can't just be a transfer fee

ie If Everton want to buy player Jim from Watford at 10 million - Then Liverpool, Man City etc in a supa dupa rich boy league can't also come in and buy Jim at 10 million - Otherwise not a level playing field - They big boys would have to pay 10 million + a rich boy tax - I don't have the answer, but it has to be a compensation/punishment somehow
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Liverpool to win the league by 6 points, and the champions league. Man united Mid table.

yes, I’m an optimistic Liverpool fan. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Liverpool to win the league by 6 points, and the champions league. Man united Mid table.

What do you think about a European Super League?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    tFB Trader
    The Newcastle saga looks to continue - Benitez to stay or go - China £12m or undisclosed offering at NUFC - He can simply walk away from NUFC in 12 days
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    For no real reason (maybe the bayern games in 93/94) I have a soft spot for norwich and will be cheering them on (premiership wise, I'm a pompey fan) up the canaries....
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    munckee said:
     I'm a pompey fan
    LOL.

(Only joking)
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4909
    The Newcastle saga looks to continue - Benitez to stay or go - China £12m or undisclosed offering at NUFC - He can simply walk away from NUFC in 12 days
    You don't think he'll fancy Chelsea, then, Mark?  ;)

tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    You don't think he'll fancy Chelsea, then, Mark?  ;)

Frankie is going there ????????? - Someone to work with and develop the youngsters - Benetiz had no money to spend in NUFC, so I cant see him wanted to be restricted again - Did he not leave Chelsea on bad terms last time ? (can't recall why just somehow recall something)
    tFB Trader
    Benitez not staying - As I mentioned earlier, don't think that NUFC will be to far away from the relegation zone - Another mess brewing there
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4909
    Not sure Lampard is ready for Chelsea just yet.

As for Benitez, it's a shame he's leaving the toon, and I think you're right about it getting messy...  As far as I recall, the fans weren't thrilled with him at Chelsea (too soon after Liverpool, perhaps), but he did an OK job for them - half a season, spent nowt, finished third.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

One of the rich clubs will win.  Players will dive and cheat and feign injury.  Players will get booked for making tackles where they got the ball first.  I really don't care who wins.

I will watch go to a few Exeter City games, and follow the NFL, rugby, and England's winter cricket tours.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I just want Man U to get dicked. Not fussed about the rest of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I thought Norwich were pretty enjoyable to watch last season - even a minor wobble at the end to add a bit of excitement. They certainly looked like they could compete at the lower end of the Prem and I would think capable of a lower-mid table finish.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Freebird said:

What do you think about a European Super League?
    Sorry @Freebird I didn’t see this, unless I’m tagged and get a notification it’s unlikely I’ll read it.

sadly, I think a super European Super league is the ways it’s going. The gap between the top clubs and the “best of the rest” is growing. Hope not, and I think it’s a few years away, but I can see it happening.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    So the transfer season is underway

Think Wan-Biassaka looks a good prospect - maybe a lot of money but an exciting potential

70/80M for Maguire I think is silly money - Not sure he is that good - Great in the air, but I'd be worried about him against the nimble light footed nippy players

Good move for MUFC in getting Rashford signed up on a new deal

Arsenal and Zaha - could be a good move for both, but Arsenal are going to have to be sensible with a better offer - Surely they need to free up some funds and move on Ozil
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    £70m for Harry Maguire. LOL! 

Man Utd are lucky they make so much money because they don't half throw it away sometimes. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Man U are stuck in a position where they have spend huge money to get decent players, as the world class or potential world class players are choosing City, Real, PSG etc, it's an awkward one really.

If they don't get in better players than they have then they won't progress but over paying for "good" players is going to make world class players very expensive if one is willing the sign.

Wan-Biassaka looks decent defensively, the trouble is his style of play looks 5 years or more out of date now, he doesn't have much going forward at all.