Premier League 2019/2020 Season

What's Hot

Comments

• proggy said:
    proggy said:
    So who will be the first PL manager to be fired - Just a hunch today, but 3 to be scared should be Frank/Chelsea - SB/Newcastle - And although a great start for Potter/Brighton, I think they will struggle to avoid the bottom 3

Unfortunately, I reckon Steve Bruce will win the sack race, followed by Frank Lampard.
    I have a big friend who is a NUFC fan and he actually hopes it will be SB first 

They're a funny lot those Geordies, give the poor bloke a chance, and he's one of their own.
    Not really. Newcastle fans (rightly) see Bruce's appointment as the embodiment of everything that is wrong at their club. NUFC.com is normally a pretty reliable (and fair) source of NUFC news and opinion and their take on it was absolutely brutal:

"Newcastle United confirmed the appointment of Steve Bruce as their new head coach on Wednesday morning.

He's signed an initial three year contract and is joined by coaches Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, with the trio en route to China to take charge of the club's second Asian Trophy tie on Saturday.

Bruce's former club Sheffield Wednesday are yet to make any public comment, but presumably the confirmation of him as successor to Rafa Benitez means that compensation has now been agreed.

This will be the eleventh club of his managerial career, since taking charge of Sheffield United in July 1998 - his most recent top-flight stint ending in 2016 when his Hull City side were relegated. 

So all the talk of progressive football and has sacrificed on the altar of expedience and we're now saddled with a John Carver/Steve McClaren reboot.

We don't really care about his club hopping or the plight he's left Wednesday in; the mackem connection or his perception as an Old Trafford apologist is of little consequence ahead of the 2019/20 season.

And even the claim that the man who allegedly bleeds black and white once preferred to join Norwich City doesn't particularly matter - football is a lie, as his predecessor was fond of saying. 

Regardless of your viewpoint of Rafa though, this cannot be seen as anything other than a retrograde step - a man who previously boasted of his dislike of tactics. 

This is the very opposite of ambition, but an appointment that nicely mirrors our grubby, unloved, derided shell of a football club.

The job title given to Bruce of Head Coach seems significant though: with just over three weeks to go until the transfer window closes, let's hope that whoever is actually in charge of recruitment on Barrack Road has a coherent and credible plan to avoid what looks like nothing else but a relegation fight.

Whether the club have shown some foresight in appointing Bruce remains to be seen; perhaps they've merely acquired a manager with promotion to the top flight on his CV thirteen months before he's needed.  "
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    axisus said:
    Better start than I expected from Man U. I'm actually feeling more optimistic than I have for any season since Fergie left. Early days. Bit worried about Pogba's attitude though, he can drag a team down.
    @axisus ...I've waited since 1989 to take the piss after a a palace win at OT. 

Where are you?! 
    Yeah, well done Palace. You have to take these things on the chin. Yup. Man U still sh*te, my optimism is now fully drained.
  • Not sure Spurs have read the script. 

They're supposed to pretend they're contenders until January before capitulating into obscurity. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    Early days but the top 2 are already starting to sit in their favourite position in the league table

Great result yesterday for Sheffield away to Chelsea

Watched the Soton v MUFC match - Once MUFC had the 1 man advantage and 10/15 to go, don't know why they didn't play Maguire upfront as a target man and sit there and cause some additional questions in the box - They never looked like scoring otherwise, once Soton decided to sit behind the ball - James looks as though he might be exciting, but needs to work on his final ball - Pace alone is not a great asset
  • Did I hear correctly that Villa had a late equaliser disallowed through VAR because of Greasy Grealish diving in the box? If so, and yes I am rather biased here, but that alone has to be worth keeping VAR :)

Such a quality player but glad they are taking action to try to reduce diving as players like him really shouldn't need to do it
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    tFB Trader
    Did I hear correctly that Villa had a late equaliser disallowed through VAR because of Greasy Grealish diving in the box? If so, and yes I am rather biased here, but that alone has to be worth keeping VAR :)

Such a quality player but glad they are taking action to try to reduce diving as players like him really shouldn't need to do it
    Heard about it but not seen it yet  - Supposedly a bit of a grey area on that one due to the pace that Grealish was running at - But VAR apparently did nothing about a blatant dive at West Ham and a clear cut red card at Leicester following a bad tackle - And I heard a handle ball by the attacking team, on the way to a goal, was allowed at Newcastle - But not at Man City a couple of weeks ago - So by the sounds of things, like a ref, VAR has its opinions and is not FACT - Saw on the Sky Sunday Supplement show this morning that the press pundits, out of 10, so far have awarded VAR 2 out of 10
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Man U are so depressing these days. Doesn't look like it's gonna work out with Ole. I'm not saying ditch him, but the omens look poor. 
  • Did I hear correctly that Villa had a late equaliser disallowed through VAR because of Greasy Grealish diving in the box? If so, and yes I am rather biased here, but that alone has to be worth keeping VAR :)

Heard about it but not seen it yet  - Supposedly a bit of a grey area on that one due to the pace that Grealish was running at - But VAR apparently did nothing about a blatant dive at West Ham and a clear cut red card at Leicester following a bad tackle - And I heard a handle ball by the attacking team, on the way to a goal, was allowed at Newcastle - But not at Man City a couple of weeks ago - So by the sounds of things, like a ref, VAR has its opinions and is not FACT - Saw on the Sky Sunday Supplement show this morning that the press pundits, out of 10, so far have awarded VAR 2 out of 10
    Yeah I think overall the frustration will be that it doesn't bring the consistency that everybody wants. But you know...Greasy Grealish :)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2019
    axisus said:
    Man U are so depressing these days. Doesn't look like it's gonna work out with Ole. I'm not saying ditch him, but the omens look poor. 
    They still need another centre-back. The transition is still in progress, and the young players will need time. I think they need another 2-3 transfer windows before they stand any chance of becoming a force to be reckoned with, and maybe they will need a new manager too!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.

My lad said that about Greasy after the playoff semi.. he's good enough not to have to fall over every time someone gets near him. Sadly he has a rep now and they've paid the price. Interesting phone in on the old WM on the way home - as we know when you're up against it the reffing can really let you down.

We were irresistible for about 25 mins yesterday so hopefully we can kick on after the international break. @thecolourbox ;
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Speaking as a Palace fan, that was clearly a massive dive!

If it had happened the other way round I'd be livid and it would have been a travesty.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

My lad said that about Greasy after the playoff semi.. he's good enough not to have to fall over every time someone gets near him. Sadly he has a rep now and they've paid the price. Interesting phone in on the old WM on the way home - as we know when you're up against it the reffing can really let you down.

We were irresistible for about 25 mins yesterday so hopefully we can kick on after the international break. @thecolourbox ;
    Hopefully not too well that we get promoted though. Premier League is much more interesting without us in it I find
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Granit Xhaka remains the single thickest player Arsene signed.
  • VJIves said:
    Granit Xhaka remains the single thickest player Arsene signed.
    He made a "Mustafi" type tackle for the penalty! The sooner both muppets are sold the better.

Great game to watch and I was impressed by the intensity of the second-half. Should have scored a third goal to win it but not to be. I'm liking this Pepe player, if he can just add some quality to his final ball and some goals he'll be a great asset. I always get uneasy whenever Luiz is on the ball at the back too!

Ceballos added more guile and composure when he came on, Emery needs to get him signed permanently! Laca had a good game too but pulled up with an injury, and Guendouzi played well, for a 20-year-old to hold his own in midfield in a North London Derby is no fluke.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Slightly off-topic, but has anyone signed up to The Athletic? https://theathletic.co.uk/

I keep hearing it being promoted on various sports podcasts and wondered if anyone had given the trial a go?
  • duotone said:
    Slightly off-topic, but has anyone signed up to The Athletic? https://theathletic.co.uk/

I keep hearing it being promoted on various sports podcasts and wondered if anyone had given the trial a go?
    I've read some Albion stuff that's been ctrl-v'd and it's been quality by and large. Not seen anything else though. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I signed up for the half price sub on The Athletic after I saw James Pearce had left the Liverpool Echo to go write for them. So far really enjoying it. Quality of writing is excellent, they've hoovered up a fair amount of talent. Some of the in-depth football tactical analysis is really interesting.
    tFB Trader
    wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man City and Norwich - few saw that coming 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Indeed - a 5-point gap already!  That will take some closing...

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited September 2019
    On a slightly different note, has anybody been watching any Bundesliga games? I used to watch La Liga quite a bit, but I fancied something different. It's been pretty good so far.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.