Hiscox Pro-II-GS, really badly fitting case for my 335

What's Hot
OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
Hi chaps,

I stumped up for a brand new case for my 335 direct from Hiscox this week. I have just got around to trying the guitar in it and the fit is appalling. There's a good 3/4 inch side to side movement, ie a big gap around the guitar, and with the lid closed and the case on its edge, the guitar moves front to back, bumping back and forth between the lid and the bottom.

Is it just mine? I have had the older red lined version before and it seemed to fit well. This is the newer silver lined cased.

I'm quite shocked actually. Needless to say it will be going back this week for a refund. Paid by credit card and also an online purchase.

Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Worrying.
    Do Hiscox say that model case is suitable for a 335?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3353
    I have a LP case from them, I have my Epiphone in it, the body sits a good 10/15mm above the case bottom and rests on the neck! I dont know if Gibsons are a different neck angle and that may be the problem.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Worrying.
    Do Hiscox say that model case is suitable for a 335?
    It is specifically for Gibson ES guitars.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Ossyrocks said:
    my 335 
    Dumb but necessary question. What make and model is your “335”?
    Be seeing you.
    It’s a 1969
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited June 2019
    I have a Hiscox 335 case - fits my ES335 perfectly. Maybe they sent you a 175 case :/ (I've never been able to buy direct from them - they made me go via a dealer - even for one offs.)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    My 61 is a very good fit in the hiscox case.     Have you compared the guitar with another 335 to check the size?
    John_P said:
    My 61 is a very good fit in the hiscox case.     Have you compared the guitar with another 335 to check the size?
    I have boxed it back up in a huff now, ready for return. I will try the 69 in my block reissue’s case, which is a nice fit for that guitar.

Rob
    Jalapeno said:
    I have a Hiscox 335 case - fits my ES335 perfectly. Maybe they sent you a 175 case :/ (I've never been able to buy direct from them - they made me go via a dealer - even for one offs.)
    You can order directly from the website now. It was the only way I could one in the Ivory exterior. It looks amazing, shame it’s no good for my 335.
    Ok, dodgy phone video evidence....

https://youtu.be/SZ5I8_2Gqt4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    John_P said:
    So, comparing my 2002 Yamano Gibson ES-335 '63 Block Reissue with the vintage '69. At the widest point on the body, the Yamano is 407mm and the '69 is 409mm. Only 2mm in it, but the vintage guitar is actually bigger. At the waist, they are the same.

I carried the Yamano in the older style Hiscox case for years and it was a great fit.

Rob
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    edited June 2019
    I had this issue with one of my two 335s in Hiscox cases - the other was pretty much a perfect fit.

You need to get some pads from them and glue them in to the edges. A couple should do but just get in touch with them and they'll send you a bag out. It actually makes it a much better case than if it was a snug fit.

I now do this with all Hiscox cases regardless of fit, it's dead easy and gives you the best case you can get
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    My one’s the same, using an SKB instead. I’ve found most recent Hiscox cases to also have other issues... misaligned metal frame so they don’t shut without a wiggle, loose latches... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My one’s the same, using an SKB instead. I’ve found most recent Hiscox cases to also have other issues... misaligned metal frame so they don’t shut without a wiggle, loose latches... 
    This one doesn’t shut perfectly either. It needs a jiggle.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    If it doesn’t fit perfectly, then it it’s not right. If you have to fit extra pads it’s not right.

Shoddy, imho.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26747
    I wonder if this is a result of Gibson changing the body shape a little i the late 60's? The horns changed shape - did the lower bout get a bit narrower too? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I have a hiscox 335 case and there are pads/blocks either side at the lower bout. It came like that and makes a very snug fit.
    They have a good reputation so contact them for a replacement if you're not happy. I wouldn't trust my 335 in anything less.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I have no experience of Hiscox cases for 335s (mine is in its original Gibson case) but my Atkin OM was supplied with a Hiscox case and it's a perfect fit. However, earlier this year I bought a Hiscox for a Tele and it's not a particularly good fit. It seems to depend on your luck.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    The intentionally loose fit with pads to take up any movement is a good thing, and protects the guitar better than a tightly fitting case - but if they've started to not fit properly at the aluminium edge strips that is more worrying, and indicates a drop in quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    I have no experience of Hiscox cases for 335s (mine is in its original Gibson case) but my Atkin OM was supplied with a Hiscox case and it's a perfect fit. However, earlier this year I bought a Hiscox for a Tele and it's not a particularly good fit. It seems to depend on your luck.
    That would be because it's a case for a Strat / Tele shape, so it can't fit one perfectly or the other would not fit.
    EF - Fender (Mainly T & S)
    EG - Gibson (Mainly LP & SG)

A little movement of the guitar inside the case is usually better, that way if the case takes a big impact it isn't transferred to the guitar inside due to an extremely tight fit.