sc relic junior build for Scott

What's Hot
DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
in Making & Modding tFB Trader
I've been chatting to scott @GoldenEraGuitars ; for a while and i sent him a tele body to finish as i just didn't have the time or patience so got around to the subject of juniors and I'd said I'll build you one to try out a hot rod style junior which i think is a good idea

we're using my headstock shape instead of a vintage one but the rest is pretty much vintage spec, a traditional truss rod will be used along with a vintage fret scale, i don't use anything else tbh, if it ain't broke don't fix it

Now the mahogany which I've had for years now, it's old khaya that came direct from the importer and sat around over 20yrs before i got it, then the necks which are the same stuff, i got those blanks for £5 each, wish i could get that now, I'll probably use a madagascan fretboard, I've had that a while too and I'm putting mop dots in it not cellulose nitrate like originals

I'll be selling a few husks, you can see I've got a few sc and dc blanks being made

First up thickness it on the overhead router then put through the sander 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
(formerly customkits)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    Shape drawn out cut out and put on my overhead router to get the body shape routed, i use a down cut spiral bit which is worth every penny to me

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    A bit of bobbin sander and it's good enough to carry on doing the other routes

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Surely it should be a SC not a DC ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Surely it should be a SC not a DC ;)
    Bah dum tssssshhhhh. Next time ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I wish I had the workshop, the skills and the investment to do this, it's fascinating.

How much are the "Husks" and what do you get with it?
    How far would you have taken the build already?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    I wish I had the workshop, the skills and the investment to do this, it's fascinating.

I'm doing a couple of sc husks for £450 which will be pretty much vintage spec but a shallower headstock angle, these are hot hide glued together and using the old fretscale

I will also be doing a higher spec correct ones for £750 set up ready to finsh and I'll make a nylon nut for it and glue it in place

The reason these will be virtually full builds is because i use hot hide glue which is not something I'd recommend for novice builders, doing it this way takes out any problems worrying about neck angles that clear a dog ear p90 and still have a nice wraparound bridge height
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

I'm doing a couple of sc husks for £450 which will be pretty much vintage spec but a shallower headstock angle, these are hot hide glued together and using the old fretscale

I will also be doing a higher spec correct ones for £750 set up ready to finsh and I'll make a nylon nut for it and glue it in place

The reason these will be virtually full builds is because i use hot hide glue which is not something I'd recommend for novice builders, doing it this way takes out any problems worrying about neck angles that clear a dog ear p90 and still have a nice wraparound bridge height
    Awesome, thanks man.

Good luck with it.
    Your work is among the best I've ever seen.
    Next up neck blanks, first i get my headstock angles done and flat with a nut face line across the square blank, i use my no5 hand plane and it gets lovely see through shavings 

i use my overhead router to do a traditional 3/16 trussrod, i use a 4.8mm cutter and shim one end up than cut them out

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Some amount of work involved! Love seeing it, absolutely brilliant :)
    tFB Trader
    Some amount of work involved! Love seeing it, absolutely brilliant :)
    Thanks Scott glad you appreciate it, at least these are fairly quick easy builds compared to my carved tops 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Truss rods being made by hand because i can't get them over here, anyway scotts is in and the filler strip is in now

I use a spotfacer to get the nut recess and before stewmac came up with there jig, the other thing by doing it my way i can alter the depth to just enough and no more, hopefully it keeps a bit more strength in that area

i use a small piece of maple to get the centre of my channel after it's routed

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Looking good!

G&W do the rods Darren, they usually arrive in a couple of days and the StewMac access cutter jig I use is fully adjustable for the depth :+1: 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Looking good!

G&W do the rods Darren, they usually arrive in a couple of days and the StewMac access cutter jig I use is fully adjustable for the depth :+1: 
    Thanks Neil, I'll check G&W out, no one had these in Europe when i started using them, same as the neck jig, wasn't available
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Just looked on there website it's a metric truss rod which is no good for me, i wanted a vintage style 3/16 rod
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm building necks and fretboards now, I'm using my headstock on one and a one off more familiar shape as requested by Scott's customer, i put a wafer thin holly veneer on the dc neck just in case it gets colour coded

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    My method for making fretboards is thickness and flat then i taper them, radius and slot, dots get put in last, reason being i only want to do something once, i got fed up going over fret slots etc and sometimes losing a partial slot towards the end, this way also gets a slot just deep enough and follows the radius

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    radius jig is lovely but the rest is by hand, 5 boards radiused

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Great work Darren, the only time I miss carpentry is when I see work like this, btw love the Elu router (I still have an Elu planer which takes 3.5mm per pass!!)
    tFB Trader
    Tone71 said:
    Great work Darren, the only time I miss carpentry is when I see work like this, btw love the Elu router (I still have an Elu planer which takes 3.5mm per pass!!)
    yeah but one of us actually makes money, could still end up pissing off to paint cars yet

3.5mm off anything i do and it's mostly scrap  :)
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Fretboards slotted now and look nice
    I use my home made slotting jig because it has a custom made template underneath with a vintage fret scale, this template also incorporates the trap inlay routes so i can do them on the pin router without taking the board off 
    Scotts 2 necks are side by side 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom