sc relic junior build for Scott

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Well were getting near to gluing a dc neck in, i start by doing the neck taper then thickness it and follow up by getting the neck angle done on the tenon, this is all done on my overhead router, dots are marked out, I'm using 1/4 mop dots, i drilled tuner holes by marking out and drilling 2mm pilot holes so i can drill half way one side and the rest from the back, this eliminates any tearout around the hole
    I use 1mm pins for putting in the fretboard, i only want a couple of mm for the point to go into the neck, this holds it in place for gluing, i use hot hide glue and a thick 1inch rubber band is used instead of clamps, the band is fantastic for getting even pressure over a radiused fretboard

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    We're nearly ready to have a completed guitar, i fitted side dots, i punch them out myself, next up is carve the neck leaving just a final tweak when it's strung up it also allows movement when tweaking the truss rod because i put my necks on a jig that stops the neck flexing, tweak the truss rod until i see a small gap at the nut end, reason being i use a traditional truss rod and this pre loads the rod to ensure i get enough relief when it's new, flat the fretboard again then fit mop dot inlays then we have a neck that's ready to fret before gluing in

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Very nice indeed
    tFB Trader
    normula1 said:
    Very nice indeed
    Thanks, can't wait to send them over to scott 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Next up fretted and neck glued, i glue my frets in even with a nice fit and clean up with acetone then cut the ends off file flat against the fretboard and bevel, i oil it after that, after the neck is glued up overnight i route the excess off the tenon so it's flat and a light sanding finishes it smooth 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Now that's done it's time to get the sc done for Scott, body is already prepped so all i had to do was route the neck pocket, I'd already done some work on the neck, thickness and headstock shaped, i only route the tenon to get the fit and i put the angle on it, i do it this way because i glue small blocks either side of the fretboard that holds it in place while i glue it on, i get one go with hot hide glue or have to start again, i haven't got time for that, the originals also had a bigger gap at the end of the fretboard but I'll remake a neck template and see if i can get it shaped to fit snug on my next ones, these aren't pure vintage spec

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    I check my neck angle and it's all good, maybe a couple of mm over the dog ear cover

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    Quick mock up, this is a one off build using this headstock, it's familiar but not the same as you know who's 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    So much craftsmanship! Fascinating stuff Darren
    tFB Trader
    So much craftsmanship! Fascinating stuff Darren
    Thanks, glad you like it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Before glueing the fretboard i make sure it's lined up clamp it then glue very small blocks either side of the fretboard 2 near the nut and 2 up the other end, i use a big rubber band to clamp the board on, it's quicker and better than clamps imo, it also gets even pressure over a radiused board

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    The dc is alive now, it'll need another day or so on it because i used a temporary nut so it'll need a new one then the neck will need a tweak to taste and feel, obviously pickup route needs doing too, it's going to be good, nice and lively even now, the other thing is i used gotoh sd90 tuners which are better than kluson junior ones imo, I'll see if i can get the same for the sc but with pearl buttons 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Lovely stuff
    tFB Trader
    sc neck is almost done now, it should get glued in tomorrow, it's been carved and fretted with a glove like tenon fit, I've gone for the same profile as my 58 dc neck, it's chunky but very comfy 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Another idea kicking around in the hot rod vibe is a set neck dc tele loosely based on the old coronets, dwights etc but staying away from pure vintage spec, it'll have 3 a side headstock, no pickups or hardware has been been set in stone but I'm leaning towards a tele bridge and maybe a mojotron staple p90 for a neck, duesenberg trem is a possibility as the old limba is so lightweight, this body weighs 3.86lb unrouted

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Really nice to see work like this. The enthusiasm, skill and patience is just great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    Really nice to see work like this. The enthusiasm, skill and patience is just great.
    It’s a joy to watch a luthier building a guitar. It’s also a massive privilege to see your own being made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the comments we're back on track after the slights leaves on track moment, they've been moved on

Hopefully i get a neck glued in today with yet another outdated slow way of gluing ones necks in with hot hide glue, on the plus side keeps the shop warm in winter 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for the comments we're back on track after the slights leaves on track moment
    The discussion about truss rods can now be found here. It has been separated out because it was starting to derail @Danielsguitars build thread, and because it’s an important topic which justifies a tread of its own. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Well after a very long day we've got sc neck glued in, i had to do the pickup routes, jack socket hole, drill the pickup wire and a quick mock up to check everything, neck angle is spot on about a mm over the dog ear then fire up the glue pot and glue it in, i cleaned up as much as possible before tomorrows unclamping 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom