One for the synth programmers (How does he get that sound?)

Starting from 2:46, the keys player jumps to his Prophet 12 and plays some evolving pads. To me, it sounds like mostly a sine-wave that evolves into a saw-wave.

I've tried recreating it in Ableton's wavetable synth, using an envelope to control the oscillator position (this essentially morphs the waveshape over time). But the biggest issue that I have is that I can't get the synth to continue the evolution when I change chords. i.e. every time the chord changes, the synth will restart the evolution process starting on a sine wave. 

This seems to be a fundamental programming error. Any ideas how I can get the synth to continue the evolution while changing chords?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMTaAQ43lY
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Branshen said:
    This seems to be a fundamental programming error. 
    Liberally cribbing from this Sound On Sound review, the evolving waveform seems to be governed by the P12 Modulation Matrix in a free-running condition rather than, say, an LFO retriggered by every key press.

I do not know enough about the Ableton wavetable plug-in to say whether it has this same capability.

There is bound to be at least one owner of the P12 on this forum. Perhaps, he can spare the time to explain and/or demonstrate how the effect is created? Alternatively, crack the Ableton manual. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom