Anybody use a Thumbpick............Chet / Brent Mason / Gatton style ?

DominicDominic Frets: 16079
Any tips / suggestions ?
I have had a few half hearted attempts
I would like to be able to do this for all styles and eliminate the standard pick
Is it possible to develop a strumming technique good enough for Funk like this ?
Is it possible to grip it with a finger also to play tremolo -picked shred stuff ?
As well as the obvious hybrid chicken -pickin style
Is there one type/ brand that stands out above others as easier or more comfortable to wear
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I've used them most of my playing life. For something that compromises fairly successfully between plectrum and thumb pick the Herco type are hard to beat. In my experience no thumb picks, not even the Herco ones, are any good for funk rhythm playing - you'll need a normal pick for that.

I can't comment on shred use. That's as alien to me as Chinese is ;)

Different thumb picks suit different types of playing. For example the thumb picks I use for lap dobro are quite different to those I use for rock or for country guitar. It's a matter of experimenting to find what is most suitable.

Length and shape of the picking part of a thumb pick is crucial. Most are supplied too long and need trimming to shape.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Dom,

I used them for years (the red Herco ones I think), and now play a similar style but without the thumb pick. 
    It was so alien to start with, but now I can play a hybrid of just thumb and fingers, and hold a pick as well !

It great opened up my playing.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I use a thumbpick (the Fred Kelly Bumblebee ones are my favourite) but if I strum I always just use fingers. You can certainly grip the Fred Kelly ones to use like a plectrum though.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Gatton used a flat pick and fingers.

Tons of country pickers now use this technique rather than a thumb pick.

There are things you can do with a flat pick you can't do with a thumb pick, not of course there is anything wrong with using a thumb pick.

I've been playing a lot of lap steel recently and use a thumb pick with that, so I might look into using one on the guitar.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10248
    tFB Trader
    I'm trying to master Scotty Moore style playing ... and the thumb pick is giving me real hassles ... mostly by slipping or coming off. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    I'm trying to master Scotty Moore style playing ... and the thumb pick is giving me real hassles ... mostly by slipping or coming off. 
    In that case the thumb pick is too large, try to find one that isn't too tight or too loose.  Try a few different brands to find which works for you the best. 

I went through about 5 or 6 different brands before I settled on the one I use the most, which is the Herco Blue. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I use a thumb pick for playing the banjo, but for whatever reason I can't get on with it on a guitar. Must be something to do with string tension or something.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    In that case the thumb pick is too large, try to find one that isn't too tight or too loose.  Try a few different brands to find which works for you the best. 

I went through about 5 or 6 different brands before I settled on the one I use the most, which is the Herco Blue. 
    File them down with a nail file -apparently that's what the Nashville guys do
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Ash, if you normally play with a plectrum try these Herco thumb picks. For Scotty-style playing I'd suggest the heavy gauge here:

You may need to trim the picking part of the Herco picks: Hold a plectrum in your normal grip and note how far it projects beyond your thumb, then put on the Herco thumb pick and see whether it projects more than your plectrum. If it does -  trim it back a bit with scissors and an emery board (ladies nails type ;)).

To stop thumb picks slipping around just moisten your thumb slightly before you use them.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10248
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    Ash, if you normally play with a plectrum try these Herco thumb picks. For Scotty-style playing I'd suggest the heavy gauge here:

You may need to trim the picking part of the Herco picks: Hold a plectrum in your normal grip and note how far it projects beyond your thumb, then put on the Herco thumb pick and see whether it projects more than your plectrum. If it does -  trim it back a bit with scissors and an emery board (ladies nails type ;)).

To stop thumb picks slipping around just moisten your thumb slightly before you use them.

Cheers I'll try em

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message