Tele knobs and switches don't fit

Just finished building my tele kit and replaced the pots with cts ones and the knobs no longer fit. Which type do I need?
The cts are split shaft, also I now have a 4 way oak grisby switch which needs a new tip 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    American control parts require Imperial-sized knobs. Your kit parts are almost certainly Metric.

The splined pot shafts are intended for use with plastic knobs. Traditional metal "Tele / P Bass" knobs are intended to be fastened by a grub screw onto a solid shaft pot. 

It is possible to bodge proper Tele knobs onto a splined pot shaft by cramming something non-compressible into the split slot before attempting to tighten the grub screw. The consequence of doing this is that some of the splines on the shaft will be damaged where the grub screw tightens on. This damage could spoil the grip of the splines onto plastic knobs.

A compromise solution might be those hollow metal knobs with the plastic insert that pushes onto the splines. From a distance, it looks close enough to the real thing for a kit. I probably have a few spare ones in a box.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    You can get split shaft sized Tele knobs that fasten with a grub screw. As the hole is the right size the knobs sit level, whereas using knobs designed for solid shaft pots they usually sit on split shafts a little skew-whiff due to the oversized hole.
    Alternatively you can get solid shaft knobs and conversion sleeves that sit over the split shaft bringing the diameter up to 6.35mm for a good fit.
    As for the tip look for one advertised as Fender spec or Oak/CRL compatible.
  • Both good suggestions thanks guys I'll buy a couple soon