Getting into cycling

What's Hot
Well I got home last night having been away for a few days, any my wife and son have decided to buy we a road bike. Nothing fancy (thy got it from decathlon), but has 24 gears, a carbon fibre fork. Now not planning any major upgrades (maybe the pedals and some clip in shoes).
Now I am an unfit bastard (but a confident cyclist). Plan is to get to the point where I can do the Go Ride London to Brighton run next may. So how do you guys suggest getting into the swing of things.
First hurdle is to get over a sore bum (and I do have a decent seat), then build up my fitness, now I live in SE London, so not exactly a nice place to ride with all the traffic.
Should I find some nice flat trails to start with, or best go for hilly rides and take them slowly until my fitness levels are up.
Do I get a Mamil outfit ;o)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you have one join a social cycling group. Failing that join your local cycling club, many have a couch to 20K then beginners, improvers, advanced rides etc and group riding is the best way to develop and get the most out of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Have you worked out how to change gear - both up and down?

its simple but not intuitive if you haven’t used road bike gears before 

don’t use the gears at each extreme - use the middle gears .  You will have 8 gears on one handle and 3 on the other.  Stay around 3 to 6 on the (probably right hand), and use the 1 2 and 3 instead to give you a comfortable gear.  Don’t use 1 and 8

with Decathlon bikes you are entitled to a free setup after a month.  You will almost certainly need it because the gears will be “clicking” and rubbing and making similar sounds.  Make sure you book it in in advance, and make sure you have it done.  That is unless you’ve loads of experience of setting up derailleursnand gears.

buy spare inner tubes NOW and carry 2 with you always, along with a pump!
    at home, take both wheels off and learn how to replace an inner tube on both front and back wheels.  So much easier learning at home instead of when it’s raining by the side of the road.
    practice taking your back wheel off, and putting it back on - again, learn how to do this at home.  YouTube clips are great for this

keep the hills for a few weeks in when you’re more used to handling a fidgety road bike.  Save clip in shoes for a couple of months for the same reason

enjoy :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4629
    Am used to gears, although the mechanism have changed a lot since my youth (used to reach down to change gear).
    Not too worried about the bike engineering and handling. My bike was my freedom when I was a kid.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3682
    Get some decent shorts! It’s a personal thing but the mid-range Decathlon ones are a good starting point.

Work up the distance slowly; if you try to ride too far in the early stages all you’ll do is exhaust yourself and then not have the energy to ride the next day. I did that yesterday and won’t make my club ride tonight because of it.

Give yourself rest days.

Above all enjoy it!

And remember n+1....
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Do I get a Mamil outfit ;o)

Even if you don't get the full outfit, get some shorts.  The padding for your bum makes a big difference in terms of not getting sore.  The seams are also in good places, where they might not be on normal underwear.  Seams digging in right where your bum is on the seat is not good.

You can do cycling shorts with a normal T shirt if you don't want the full mamil look.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5627

I got back into cycling for a while a few years back.  Stupidly I decided to get a bike and then try to ride the ten, or so, mile to work and back.  Let's just say that at the time I was not fit.  It was also not a flat route.

The first few times I tried it I was ready to puke after climbing the first serious hill.  Honestly, I had to stop and just breathe and try to keep my food down for a few minutes!

It quickly gets easier though and I got reasonably fit quite quickly, in time I got fitter and lost a lot of weight.  The sore arse is one of those things you just have to power through.  My sit bones were screaming at me early on, but it gets easier, perhaps try a day on, day off until they get used to the saddle.

My biggest problem was the addiction.  I've never been remotely athletic, I hate running and all forms of physical excercise except cycling and possibly swimming.  Cycling is nice, you can get fit and enjoy a bit of the countryside at the same time.  It's not hard on your feet/shins/knees like I find running to be.  Technical downhill descents are exhilerating and when you're heading down a twisty route fast enough to keep cars behind you it just makes you want to do it again and again.

Within a few months I was riding to work almost every day.  It was only ten miles away but I would often take a route which was over 17 miles long on the way in and a longer 33 mile route on the way home, I just loved it so much.  On the days when I just rode the short route to work it was always a race to beat my personal best (I think under 22 minutes over a hilly 10.17 miles was best I could achive).

I really got into it in a big way until I was riding a bike worth many time more than my car was!  I was riding organised events and I even had a British Cycling racing license at one bit!  Oh and you need a "good bike" and a winter bike ;)

I write all that having not swung my leg over a bike in quite a few years now.  I should take it up again - my scales tell me I need to!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I ride far less often than I should, herself even less than that because of traffic. So we travel to disussed railway tracks and the like for a gentle and pleasant ride. I do more excersion when I cycle alone, but keep it within your abilities for a few weeks while the joints get supple and the lungs get used to opening and closing properly.

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Avoid the hills and just build up the miles, you dont get any prizes for a bruised ass! I used to commute 50 miles and could do it without padded shorts, now my back end is battered after 5 miles!! =)

Don't be in a hurry to clip in, it only really helps on the hills and when you do if your going to be riding in traffic id strongly advise MTB clip ins over road as the MTB ones are double sided and much easier to get into. Buy decent shorts DONT WEAR UNDERPANTS and get a decent helmet without a peak otherwise you'll ride into the back of something (been there!)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I started on a B'Twin (Decathlon) bike and it was really good.  Still got it for turbo trainer use.

Invest in some proper clothing.  Padded bib shorts for summmer or longs for winter.  The dhb brand (Wiggle's own brand) is excellent.  As above, carry two inner tubes, tyre levers and small pump in a saddle bag if you're venturing out further than you can walk back.  Definitely get some proper shoes with cleats.  The Shimano cleat system is great.  Shoes are something you should buy from a shop - almost impossible to get a good fit with online shoes.  Yes, you will end up with a mamil outfit - they're used for a reason - comfort.  No need to plaster yourself with Sky adverts though, that's just for wannabes.

One can spend a lot of money on cycling gear but the budget stuff is still pretty good.  From experience brands like Castelli and Gore are no better quality than dhb.  And dhb do some really funky colours.

As for routes, try Cyclestreets app for cycle route mapping.  Surely there's plenty of option of proper cycle routes in London, hopefully some well away from cars and HGVs!

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    edited June 2019
    Make sure you fit several cameras too, as well as an extensive vocabulary of expletives so you can start a YouTube channel
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited June 2019
    excellent. Got a MTB a couple of months back having not ridden for nearly 30 years. As above carry some basic spares - I got one of the under saddle bags to put it in and carry tyre levers, inner tube, mini multtool and air canisters. Also +1 for the padded shorts. Being MTB I have conventional style shorts with a clip in inner and padding. Makes quite a bit of difference to comfort level on the bike.

I don't ride long/far - maybe 8-15 miles 1-2 a week but I run the rest of the time so find the MTB gives my legs a bit of time to refresh and can still get some aerobic conditioning without the impact of running. Looking to fit in a ride to work once a week shortly to up the miles on the bike a tad.

I'm really enjoying it. Hope you do too
  • As above, get some decent proper cycling shorts, your behind will thank you for it. Just wear them under a pair of longish normal shorts if you don't want to go full Mamil.

I only got back into cycling a few years ago, started out with shorter distances and built up the stamina. Hills? Take them easy and small to begin with.

Yesterday's little spin out. Flat as a pancake along the coast. As soon as it went inland though, ramped up to 20% in places (literally crawling along, begging for it to be over), now that's ouchie!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    As above, get some decent proper cycling shorts, your behind will thank you for it. Just wear them under a pair of longish normal shorts if you don't want to go full Mamil.

I only got back into cycling a few years ago, started out with shorter distances and built up the stamina. Hills? Take them easy and small to begin with.

Yesterday's little spin out. Flat as a pancake along the coast. As soon as it went inland though, ramped up to 20% in places (literally crawling along, begging for it to be over), now that's ouchie!

R u messing? You went too Wales / Liverpool and back?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99 said:
    As above, get some decent proper cycling shorts, your behind will thank you for it. Just wear them under a pair of longish normal shorts if you don't want to go full Mamil.

R u messing? You went too Wales / Liverpool and back?
    Took the train out to Conwy and rode back. Not done it out and back, yet.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Decent bib short are a must there are loads of makes available - personally I like Planet X's 365 range I've ridden plenty of miles over quite a few years in them - Often on offer at around 25 quid. The key to cycling is cycling you need to just get out and ride - your butt, arms, shoulders, neck and hands will all ache and hurt as you adapt - but you will adapt and it becomes second nature. Enjoy it don't go to war with every other road user it really isn't worth it. If you want some training tips just ask I've done my coaching qualifications and I'm happy to give pointers but the truth is there are no short cuts just hours in the saddle ;)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Out side of cycling shorts, just make sure the bike really fits you, if you start climbing or doing longer rides, your whole body will feel much better if the bike fits correctly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    In the summer take plenty of water (half a litre+ for every hour that you're out, plus take some emergency food with you (mars bar/energy bar) just in case you blobb (run out of energy in a way that you feel like you're gonna pass out)  
  • Can I just throw in a word of warning...
    Back in 2012 I responded to a dig from my wife that I was getting a bit 'porky' and started riding to work and easing off on the crisps and sweets.
    Last year I completed IronMan Wales and I've just dropped £10k on a new bike.
    I'm far from alone...
    2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Can I just throw in a word of warning...
    Back in 2012 I responded to a dig from my wife that I was getting a bit 'porky' and started riding to work and easing off on the crisps and sweets.
    Last year I completed IronMan Wales and I've just dropped £10k on a new bike.
    I'm far from alone...
    Blimey. You could buy 12 Veloster’s for that. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    get yourself a mountain bike and jump on the train down to Dorking, lots of lovely off road riding around here.

I find road riding unpleasant and dangerous due to vehicle behaviour and don't do it any more except to nip to the shops. But if you're determined, join a club, Dorking has one, Kingston does, there are plenty more.

Your bum will sort itself out and you will get fitter, just take your time and enjoy it.