Getting into cycling

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    joneve said:

....hard slog and I’m not entirely sure how I’m going to manage to run a marathon afterwards in 3 weeks haha. 

You don't. You shuffle...
    Noted! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I was off work yesterday so took the opportunity to do a wee 50k - I took it very easy, just wanted to relax, although I went over one of my favourite climbs (Glen Quaich). I'm so lucky to have so much good road cycling in my back yard!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2572862528

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tomorrow is Hartside Pass! Sat in the Shepherd's Inn right now and it's pissing down, to say I'm a tad worried for tomorrow would be an understatement.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Tomorrow is Hartside Pass! Sat in the Shepherd's Inn right now and it's pissing down, to say I'm a tad worried for tomorrow would be an understatement.
    Godspeed, sir. Rather you than me. 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    crunchman said:
    Getting there.  25 miles tonight including 2 full laps of Richmond Park, plus some part laps - went up Sawyer's Hill 4 times.

Reasonably optimistic about the PRL 46 next week.  Will take it easy now and just do some light stuff this week.
    I'm doing the 100 with my wife this year. We've only done 50 miles in practice so hope she is ok getting round. I'm pretty sure she'll be ok.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    crunchman said:
    Getting there.  25 miles tonight including 2 full laps of Richmond Park, plus some part laps - went up Sawyer's Hill 4 times.

Reasonably optimistic about the PRL 46 next week.  Will take it easy now and just do some light stuff this week.
    I'm doing the 100 with my wife this year. We've only done 50 miles in practice so hope she is ok getting round. I'm pretty sure she'll be ok.
    Before I did my first century (in the mendip hills no less), furthest I rode was 54 miles. 

You’ve got a couple of climbs but nothing too troublesome. Just take it easy and enjoy the day, she’ll be fine :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    joneve said:
    crunchman said:

Before I did my first century (in the mendip hills no less), furthest I rode was 54 miles. 

You’ve got a couple of climbs but nothing too troublesome. Just take it easy and enjoy the day, she’ll be fine :) 
    It's my 4th time doing it so I know i'll be fine, i'm just concerned about my wife really. She's starting 30 mins before so I have to try and speed off at the start to catch her up so we can ride together. I'm really hoping the weather isn't anywhere near as shitty as it was last year, that wasn't fun.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    joneve said:
    crunchman said:

It's my 4th time doing it so I know i'll be fine, i'm just concerned about my wife really. She's starting 30 mins before so I have to try and speed off at the start to catch her up so we can ride together. I'm really hoping the weather isn't anywhere near as shitty as it was last year, that wasn't fun.
    I've been keeping an eye on the forecast.  It's not looking too bad, although I'd prefer it if it was a degree or two cooler.
    After last year I don't really care about the temperature, as long as it doesn't rain i'll be happy.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4985
    edited July 2019
    joneve said:
    Tomorrow is Hartside Pass! Sat in the Shepherd's Inn right now and it's pissing down, to say I'm a tad worried for tomorrow would be an understatement.
    Godspeed, sir. Rather you than me. 
    Oh, it absolutely pissed down halfway up Hartside and all the way down too! Haha. And then it got worse, it also pissed down all the way to my next stop. Hilltop b n b, just after the top of the A686 (highest A road in England- ranges between 5 and 18%!!!). Still, mostly downhill tomorrow (mostly meaning a 22% section near Stanhope. I'll  be walking up that
  • I just started commuting to work again on a bike today. Been a while, but 6.6 miles each way! I felt like dying (I'm in cambs so no excuses, it's pretty much flat everywhere) until I got off, where my body recovered really fast. Just a sign of how unfit I am, but I don't feel hurt at all and actually I'm getting that wonderful high you get post exercise.

When I'm fit and cycling every day (currently it'll be 2-3 days per week) it'll save me about 15-20 quid of petrol each week. Not bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I should add, it's been a few years - I got a bike a couple of years back but due to family illness and care giving, we had to put it in storage. :( so glad it's out, and glad I have it. 

Managed to get some fenders on it too, so it looks like a tourer now. Just need the rack to arrive! 
  • I did it! It was a slightly longer journey than I thought, so about a 14 mile round trip.

Okay, not huge, but if I can do this a few times a week I'll get much fitter in no time and save petrol money. Not to mention that, by the time I'm fitter, I'll be doing it every dya anyway. 

Save money! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I did it! It was a slightly longer journey than I thought, so about a 14 mile round trip.

Okay, not huge, but if I can do this a few times a week I'll get much fitter in no time and save petrol money. Not to mention that, by the time I'm fitter, I'll be doing it every dya anyway. 

Save money! 
    Great stuff. My limited experience is that it does get easier with seemingly each trip. The real trick is to develop a routine and stick to it (subject perhaps to unsafe weather).
    Well done.

I did it! It was a slightly longer journey than I thought, so about a 14 mile round trip.

Save money! 
    increased chance of crazy Cambridge drivers running you off the road though! OR other crazy cyclists who don't follow the Highway code (something I've seen A LOT in Cambridge)
  • joneve said:

Save money! 
    increased chance of crazy Cambridge drivers running you off the road though! OR other crazy cyclists who don't follow the Highway code (something I've seen A LOT in Cambridge)

Definitely - in the city especially, lots of students who don't know how to drive I think... 

However, I'm based in West Cambridge and live in North - so it's mostly bus way :) followed by Girton (the tougher bit going in - it's slightly uphill, but it's a blast going home!). 

Should be having another ride at the weekend. My padded shorts have been lost in the move so ordering some cheapsies from decathlon I think... 
    joneve said:

Save money! 

Definitely - in the city especially, lots of students who don't know how to drive I think... 

However, I'm based in West Cambridge and live in North - so it's mostly bus way :) followed by Girton (the tougher bit going in - it's slightly uphill, but it's a blast going home!). 

Should be having another ride at the weekend. My padded shorts have been lost in the move so ordering some cheapsies from decathlon I think... 
    Probably not ethical, but aliexpress is great for knock off cycling clothing sets (jerseys and bib shorts). You can pick up sets for less than £20 and they're always pretty good quality. 

• joneve said:
    joneve said:

Save money! 

Probably not ethical, but aliexpress is great for knock off cycling clothing sets (jerseys and bib shorts). You can pick up sets for less than £20 and they're always pretty good quality. 

I'd rather not wait for the delivery... 

Also, I do try to be ethical where I can. Although money is short now, and it is testing. I wonder what decathlon's rock rider brand is like... I'm guessing no better :(

Perhaps I should save
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

Save money! 

I'd rather not wait for the delivery... 

Also, I do try to be ethical where I can. Although money is short now, and it is testing. I wonder what decathlon's rock rider brand is like... I'm guessing no better :(

Perhaps I should save
    The Decathlon stuff is usually great, even the entry level stuff. 

• Coast to Coast done! Albeit the "easy way".

216.9 Kms and 3279 m of climbing. The Pro's in Le Tour would do that in 6 hours or so!!! My riding time was just over 14 hours over 5 days, like I said, "easy".

I did finally figure out how to do climbs over 12% though, the answer being "very slowly"... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom