Helix, HX Stomp or HX Effects?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited October 2019
    I know Stomp has everything in it but  is anyone using the Stomp with other pedals, e.g. overdrives, compressors, fave pedal as a glorified Mobius or Timeline? Does it work well with other pedals?

My thinking is if you wanted it on your board as your main fx unit but also to serve as a spare rig if your guitar or bass amp goes down, or just for sheer convenience at rehearsals,

And before anyone says it, I'm not interested in the HX FX (too big and wrong application given what I've mentioned).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 101
    I have and use a HX stomp for live use and quite practicing. And yes six blocks is enough for most people. I run mine through a GPA-400 into a HB2x12 for live and it is amazing
  • Kebabkid said:
    I know Stomp has everything in it but  is anyone using the Stomp with other pedals, e.g. overdrives, compressors, fave pedal as a glorified Mobius or Timeline? Does it work well with other pedals?

My thinking is if you wanted it on your board as your main fx unit but also to serve as a spare rig if your guitar or bass amp goes down, or just for sheer convenience at rehearsals,

And before anyone says it, I'm not interested in the HX FX (too big and wrong application given what I've mentioned).

Disclaimer: I've only ever used mine at home but that's how I use mine.

I have a compressor and whammy that I run in the front, they work absolutely perfectly with the Stomp with no issues at all. 

I have two delay pedals that I absolutely love, those go in the Stomp's FX loop so that I can move them around. I bought a 2 button switch from Bright Onion so I have five Stomp footswitches to play with to switch things in and out: but like I said I'm not gigging so its not desperately important. 

On top of that, I tend to use the Stomp in one of two ways: either direct using an amp sim on the Stomp or I run it into the front end of a clean amp. In the latter case I tend to not bother running an amp sim on the Stomp and stick to FX only. 

I have three dirt pedals that I've kept on the board (the Stomp ones are decent enough, I just already owned and liked these pedals and there's space so they stay on there). They work absolutely fine either in front of a Stomp amp sim or going into the amp via the Stomp.

Personally speaking, I'd absolutely recommend a Stomp, one of the best bits of gear I've ever bought. If gigging I'd be tempted to go for either an LT or a full fat Floor but that's because I hate faffing about with loads of gear. If you're attached to your amp and want a backup rig and a whole bunch of very usable effects on top then the Stomp is great. 
  • Oh, and worth mentioning that the effects on the Stomp are absolutely fine - yes I've kept some external ones but mainly just because I already owned them and have no pressing need to get rid. If my gear room went up in smoke I'd probably just buy a full fat Helix to replace it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    My tubescreamer going into the stomp didn’t boost/tighten amps as well as using a modelled tubescreamer. It added gain but went a bit mushy/un-defined. Maybe overloading the input.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Thanks @UnclePsychosis - I use a TC Flashback, a Zoom MS70 CDR and Providence Chrono (Dual Delay). You can see that a Stomp could cover that lot easily in one pedal, and with presets and I'd probably want a small, additional switcher to add more footswitch choice - Cheers
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    The only thing I hate in the HX Stomp is how much the buffer changes the sound when I use my amps.
    Other than that, it's great.
    3 buttons are not enough to me so I added a dual aux. switch.
  • UnclePsychosis said:

I bought a 2 button switch from Bright Onion... 
    What kind of switch do you need? I have a couple of 2 button switches but I'm not sure they would work.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Jota said:
    The only thing I hate in the HX Stomp is how much the buffer changes the sound when I use my amps.
    That can probably be solved by changing the input impedance in the stomp settings ?
  • UnclePsychosis said:

I bought a 2 button switch from Bright Onion... 
    What kind of switch do you need? I have a couple of 2 button switches but I'm not sure they would work.
    I bought this one

https://www.brightonion.co.uk/mini-dual-momentary-footswitch/

You need to then set the controller settings in the Stomp to make it work properly. Its pretty easy. 
  • Ah - mine are latching rather than momentary...
    lysander said:
    Jota said:
    That can probably be solved by changing the input impedance in the stomp settings ?
    I
     I tried everything.
    The closer I got was by adjusting the global eq but it still changes the mid range to much for my tastes.
  • Odd, do you mean in 4CM? I found the Helix LT pretty transparent for that. 
    Odd, do you mean in 4CM? I found the Helix LT pretty transparent for that. 
    No
     NO 4CM. I don't have amps with fx loops.
  • lperry65lperry65 Frets: 0
    edited November 2020
    I’ve been using the Helix LT for the last couple of years. I’ve considered selling it and getting the floor for the extra features. 

I personally would never get the stomp or the fx, yes they are cheaper but your loosing a lot of functionality and DSP. 

I’m sure there are situations where they work but my advise is to just save the extra and get the LT if you don’t need the full functionality of the floor, at least your getting the full DSP and eight stomps. 
    But if you can get the floor, in this case more is more.

I’m looking at this from the perspective of a gigging musician, I use mine with a power cab 112 plus which gives me a light weight versatile rig and I don’t need a separate pedal board.

Of course this is just one guys opinion
  • They do these that match the HX Stomp...

https://www.brightonion.co.uk/line-6/