British Airways this summer

What's Hot
LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
So.... we have flights + car booked with BA for this years summer holiday (end of July to Mid August). I've paid a deposit and have to pay the balance for the flights and car hire tomorrow. I've put down £500 already. There is 5 of us travelling to the US (west coast). 

There has been a lot of stuff in the media about strikes hitting BA. Should I pay the balance with BA or cut my losses and book with someone else? I've never paid much attention to airline strikes before, how does it normally pan out?

Family has spent 8 years holidaying an a caravan prior to this, so it's a big one for us.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
    I wouldn't cancel, but I'd make sure you have good insurance that doesn't carve out strikes and a solid plan B. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Holy shit.  Hadn't heard about this.  Flying to Cyprus with BA on 18th Aug....
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    edited June 2019
    EDIT: Not sure it was BA now.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    That's a good point about insurance, I'll def. check before I pay the balance!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I am also flying with BA in August and we don't know the dates for the Strike yet so no point worrying about it.

I have an annual travel insurance which compensates generously should the trip is cancelled so i would keep an eye on skyscanner for flights in case it does happen and book them ASAP!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    RobDavies said:
    We are flying to Copenhagen on the 15th as I’m competing in the Ironman there! Really can’t afford the time for the flights to be cancelled! 
    joneve said:
    RobDavies said:
    We are flying to Copenhagen on the 15th as I’m competing in the Ironman there! Really can’t afford the time for the flights to be cancelled! 
    If I were flying out for an Ironman I'd be praying for a cancellation :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Squeezyjet have just raised all their prices for holiday flights in August....

A family of four from Gatwick to Paphos is now £2400 without any luggage. 
    Just contacted a friend of mine who is an Air Stewardess for BA and her Husband is a Pilot....

This is what she said;

"Yeah it’s a little shit. At the moment we are balloting to see what numbers actually want to strike that are in the union. Then I think they have to go to talks (if the company want to talk) then legally the unions have to give the company something like 21 days notice of strike dates. So yes it may well affect August.

If I’m honest I can’t see it happening. Normally BA divide and conquer. It’s cabin crew, pilots and ground staff and I think they’ll contact the pilots and offer them a deal because then they can fly because they have enough crew on a different fleet that aren’t involved that could cover various flights.

They’ll offer you a get out clause IF this goes ahead but the problem is you want to get there not have your money back!

I wouldn’t worry too much yet and I’ll keep you posted but I really don’t think they could actually let it happen!"

Hopefully that's of use to some. 
    Thanks for the info @joneve . I checked my insurance and it covers for strikes, but only if they are announced after booking the flights.
    who are you insured with? Asking for a friend....
    It's a work scheme, I think Lloyds might be the underwriter.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    YOu;ll be fine, don't stress mate. W Coast US is ace btw.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    RobDavies said:
    Squeezyjet have just raised all their prices for holiday flights in August....

A family of four from Gatwick to Paphos is now £2400 without any luggage. 
    I know they’re a business but they should be bloody ashamed of themselves, the robbing shitbags. 
    BA have brought mediators in to attempt to resolve the situation.....  Seems like they're keen to not let this happen. Fingers crossed.