Fretboard laminate lifting

What's Hot
Hi,

I just acquired 1981 Fender Bullet B30 bass that has a tiny bit of lifting of the laminate fretboard where it meets the neck.
You can't really see it but it's around the third fret and you can really feel it.
Is it okay to just run a little cellulose lacquer across just to seal it, and prevent it from getting any worse.
I'm not much of a handyman, but figured that that would probably work.
Any pitfalls etc.

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It's probably better to run a little thin superglue under it to make sure it's stuck down properly. You will probably have to buff off any excess since it will react with the finish, but that should also make it smooth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks.
    Because I am truly thick, do you have a suggestion what to use to buff.
    Fine grade sandpaper?
    Thanks.
  • ICBM said:
    It's probably better to run a little thin superglue under it to make sure it's stuck down properly. You will probably have to buff off any excess since it will react with the finish, but that should also make it smooth.
    Thanks.
    Because I am truly thick, do you have a suggestion what to use to buff.
    Fine grade sandpaper?
    Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Yes, probably about 600-1000 grade, followed by T-Cut if it’s a gloss finish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Did anyone else think this was an appeal to us to help shift some flooring?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom