NAD: VOX MINI SUPERBEETLE

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 880
I was looking for a solid state, simple amp.
When I say simple, I mean no modelling, multi effects or multi channel affairs.
The nearest I'd come previously, was an Orange Crush Super Pro 120.
Which although a very nice amp, weighed a ton and to my ears, didn't have the tone I wanted.
I'd recently sold my Fender Princeton and only had my Fender Mustang GT200 left, which is just far too fiddly, IMO.
I wanted a max of 2 channels and not too heavy.
I wanted to keep local, so went to Reidys (Blackburn), to try out a Vox Mini Superbeetle and a modern Peavey Bandit.
I'd last owned a bandit, over 25 years ago.
The Peavey is still an excellent value, 1X12, 80 watt combo.
The controls are very comprehensive, although I don't like chrome knobs, as it can be hard to see what number it's on.
The clean channel is pretty good and the gain channel is excellent.
Peavey's Transtube technology is almost vintage these days but it still sounds bloody good.
The Superbeetle is a single channel amp, with master and gain controls and boasts both Reverb and Tremolo.
Where this amp shines, is on clean and mildly crunchy, where it sounds as good as any amp I have tried/owned.
Using Vox's Nutube technology, this little amp sounds spot on.
I wasn't so impressed with the full on gain sound, though.
Not a sound I liked and funnily enough, was the sound the Bandit excelled at..
But as I use pedals for overdrive/distortion, that's not a problem and this amp sounds good with pedals, although it has no send/return.
The amp head is 50 watts and the mini cab is a 50 watt, 1X10, open back beauty.
There's no doubt that this mini system screams 60s vintage and looks "fab".
As it stands, it has enough volume for home use, or low level rehearsals.
And BTW, the reverb and tremolo are very vintage and really nice quality too, although not foot switchable.
However this diminutive amp head is 50 watts into 4 ohms and demands to be heard through a bigger cabinet.
So I tried it through a Vox 2X12 and a Blackstar vertical 2X12.
Now things get even better, louder and fuller.
I did consider buying one of these 2X12 cabs, as with this head, the set up is loud enough for gigs.
But the Vox was pricey, 8 ohms and heavy and although the Blackstar was lighter, vertical and 4 ohms, it totally clashed visually.
So what?  Well it just looked horrible.
So I've now got a great practice amp and when I get a 2x12 cab, a very giggable set up.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 880
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Congrats. I've loved the idea/look of these since they came out and I think you are the first on here to have posted some user info, look great in man cave with pin ball machine and pool table lol seems to be a common theme though that 10" speakers struggle to cut it. Be interesting how it goes through a 1x12 which is what I prefer it to have come with but guess that would have ruined the size they were aiming at. Assume no room in cab to upgrade ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5750
    Definitely looks very cool. How does the tremolo work with a single dial?
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    That looks great. From the controls on the top ( and the description of the sound) this amp bears a striking resemblance to my little.old Vox Pathfinder 15r.  I wonder if this this amp is a beefed up version based on the Pathfinder? I need to do some investigation...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    edited June 2019
    That looks fantastic. It’s crying out for an Alnico G10 Gold speaker, but that will cost half as much as the amp! Although it may make it giggable even without a larger cab, they’re extremely efficient.

You may also be able to find a second hand Vox 2x12”, they did them in one of the AD modelling amp series - albeit with blue grille cloth and not brilliant speakers, if I remember rightly.

I agree about the Peavey by the way - I’ve got a Studio Pro 112 which is the next one down in the range, and it sounds outstanding. (I upgraded the speaker because it was blown when I got it.)

I wonder if this this amp is a beefed up version based on the Pathfinder?
    I don’t think so, but all the small Vox amps sound good in my experience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    They've had some very good reviews. My local store had one in and I was surprised at how tiny it was.
    dazzajl said:
    Definitely looks very cool. How does the tremolo work with a single dial?
    Yeah, a single dial.  It's a subtle effect, that increases in intensity and speed, as you crank the knob.
    That looks great. From the controls on the top ( and the description of the sound) this amp bears a striking resemblance to my little.old Vox Pathfinder 15r.  I wonder if this this amp is a beefed up version based on the Pathfinder? I need to do some investigation...

I don't think the old Pathfinder amps are related to the Superbeetle at all, as they didn't have the Nutube technology.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    grayn said:

I don't think the old Pathfinder amps are related to the Superbeetle at all, as they didn't have the Nutube technology.
    Was it notube technology then aye? =) 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    These look very living room friendly . Seriously tempted
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    grayn said:

You’re probably correct. From the YouTube videos I’ve heard, they are not a million miles away in sound from my little Pathfinder though.
  • What a fantastic looking amp - didn't know it existed but looks right up my street! Congrats :) 
    monofin said:
    These look very living room friendly . Seriously tempted
    Yes, it has a very small footprint.  Good for living room, man/woman cave, or even the more traditional, bedroom.
    I was just thinking, this is my very first Vox amp.
    Although I did spend my very first gig (age 13) playing through my friend's uncle's Vox AC15.