Gigging with the Lurgy

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
Ive got a gig in a few days time but woke up yesterday feeling utterly shite. It seems I picked up a virus that’s been doing the rounds.

I should be ok in time for the gig (hopefully!) but I was wondering about tips for gigging while feeling under the weather and if anyone has any experiences of playing on, when maybe they shouldn’t?

whats the latest that you have had to pull out of gig due to being ill?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    Set up as close to the loo/changing room as possible, with a long cable.
    I played one night whilst full of the lurgy. Ended up right next to the changing room, was able to nip thru the curtain, while still playing to throw up in the sink. And yes I did clean it up afterwards, before anyone else was allowed in there. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    If you haven't got to sing you may be OK dosing up with paracetamol plenty of fluid and some vitamin C. Rest is also key to fighting these viruses. If your'e singing lead then it's a different ball game if the contagion affects your throat particularly the larynx. Jaime Vendera has a concoction he claims will get you through if you have to sing with a sore throat. IIRC it's salt, lemon juice, honey and hot water, probably to gargle not sure you would want to drink it.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    Fez said:
    If you haven't got to sing you may be OK dosing up with paracetamol plenty of fluid and some vitamin C. Rest is also key to fighting these viruses. If your'e singing lead then it's a different ball game if the contagion affects your throat particularly the larynx. Jaime Vendera has a concoction he claims will get you through if you have to sing with a sore throat. IIRC it's salt, lemon juice, honey and hot water, probably to gargle not sure you would want to drink it.
    Got a throat like a cheese grater at the moment and my BVs are ropey enough anyway...Time for Mrs Fred to break out some of her weird Bulgarian herbal remedies...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    I had flu at our last gig last weekend, raging temp and sore throat. 
    My band mates loaded in for me and I put a drum stool behind me, which allowed me to sit down during the gig when I really needed to.

Took a few paracetamol and drank Red Bull. 

I would've been better able to do the gig if I hadn't had to do a shift at work in the daytime, but I couldn't phone in sick and then play a local three hour wedding gig in the evening. 

If you have the shits it's a different matter, but if I can more or less stand up I can play guitar. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    As above,  might be worth telling thr other band members in advance you're not gonna help with tear down and head off as soon as thr gig is over.   
    p90fool said:
    I had flu at our last gig last weekend, raging temp and sore throat. 
    My band mates loaded in for me and I put a drum stool behind me, which allowed me to sit down during the gig when I really needed to.

Took a few paracetamol and drank Red Bull. 

I would've been better able to do the gig if I hadn't had to do a shift at work in the daytime, but I couldn't phone in sick and then play a local three hour wedding gig in the evening. 

If you have the shits it's a different matter, but if I can more or less stand up I can play guitar. 
    Off, that sounds rough. I hope you’re feeling better now.

I guess I could take my guitar stool and a thick arran sweater and pretend to be Val Dominican.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Save and ration your energy. Get a rest during the day. Let your band mates know that they’ll have to do all the loading. Drink coffee and water rather than beer at the gig.

Earlier this year I did a gig whilst suffering from pneumonia. I managed to carry my guitar in from the car, but then had to sit down. During the break I lay down, but adrenaline saw me through. It might be worth getting someone else to drive you.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I don't think I've ever been so ill I've had to pull out of a show, but I've played many before whilst being quite ill. Blocked nose, sore throat and high temperature are the worst, just make sure you get some rest, stay hydrated (with water) and get loads of lemon and honey down you!
    So I did the gig with a chest infection last night. Dosed up on antibiotics, paracetamol, red bull, bananas and loads of water.  Got through it but it was hard going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    “The show must go on”
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Adrenaline can get you through quite a bit. I've had colds and sore throats in the past which doesn't help much when you sing predominantly rock songs. When I've got a cold I take a bottle of honey & lemon cough syrup and take a swig before a song. It's usually enough to see me through. Just playing guitar is not so much of a problem though, I'd have to be physically incapable to stop me doing that!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    While ago I did a show the day before doc told me i had bronchitis.. had been coughing up a little blood and just felt shit.. 

Was sat in the corner right before due to go on feeling sorry for my self, singer comes up to me and starts rubbing my shoulders for a minute, said "ahh, you'll be fine" then pulled the chair away from me... All i could think was that he had surprisingly soft hands.. gig was fine. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Gigging with The Lurgi
    Are they still touring?  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom