50 Year Old Martin Guitar vs Brand New Martin Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    I can't watch the video at the moment, but wasn't 50 years ago heading towards Martin's worst period? 

I've certainly played a couple of dead sounding Martins from around 45 years ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I've heard many old Martin's where the difference in an A/B comparison has been an almost immediate preference towards the older guitar. In this A/B, however, I can't really pick a favourite - I'd be very happy with either.

This is still one of the best sounding old Martin guitars I've heard via YouTube, and puts the two D35's to shame for me. Also cost him a lot less than the two in the Andertons vid... Lucky bugger. Skip to 48 mins for the tones.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Stopped watching as soon as it emerged one was a D35 and one was an HD35. Totally not worth doing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Lewy said:
    Stopped watching as soon as it emerged one was a D35 and one was an HD35. Totally not worth doing.
    Is that Forward shifted vs non?
    Andy79 said:
    Lewy said:
    Is that Forward shifted vs non?
    The HD is forward shifted AND scalloped. Totally different. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    p90fool said:
    I can't watch the video at the moment, but wasn't 50 years ago heading towards Martin's worst period? 

Yes.

They changed the bridgeplate in 1968 (I think).  If it wasn't '68 it was within a year or two of it.  They changed it back in 1988.

Lee's guitar is a 1972.  I played a few D28s from the early 70s when I was looking for a nice acoustic.  The new HD28V I ended up with is a much better guitar.

The forward shifted bracing makes such a difference.  I would take any new Martin with forward shifted bracing over an early 70's one any day.

When the forward shifted ones get a bit of age on, they will sound even better.  I've had mine about 12 years now, and it definitely sounds better.  Might need a refret soon though.
    I just can’t believe that comparison video was made with that glaring difference
    Andy79 said:
    I just can’t believe that comparison video was made with that glaring difference
    Well, without wishing to jump on the bandwagon, anything that relies on the nuanced understanding of "The Captain" stands a good chance of being wide of the mark, doesn't it.....
    I don’t follow
    Andy79 said:
    I don’t follow
    Lee Anderton a.k.a The Captain (the guy on the left and presumably the brains behind this being a video topic) appears to be a very nice man, clearly an outstanding retailer and marketeer, but he’s not much of a player and frequently says stuff that indicates he doesn’t have a detailed understanding of the finer points of things.