Replacing a neck/setting the action question

I recently replaced the neck on my Squier CV with an Allparts roseboard neck.  I bought it used.  The fit was pretty tight but I did manage to slot it in with some hard pushing.  However, it's now virtually impossible to get any playable action as the strings are very close to the frets/neck i.e. the action is ultra low.  I have raised the three brass saddles at the bridge but they are now at the absolute max and I get the feeling that's probably not ideal anyway.

What's the solution please?  Is it to plane down slightly the bit at the back of the neck that sits in the neck pocket?

Many thanks for any help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The excessively low action is a product of:
    EITHER - insufficient truss rod relief
    OR - an excessively steep neck pitch angle.

The solution to the latter is a slim shim in the pocket, tapering upwards towards the headstock.

ICBM will be along shortly to suggest how to go about making the shim.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Thanks @Funkfingers and @ICBM - there’s this very small gap at the bridge end of the neck plate (if you understand what I mean?).  Do you think this is the problem and is it because it won’t fit into the neck pocket properly?  Will something have to be planed somewhere?

There is a very very small concave curve in the neck which I could adjust but that and the shim thing would bring the frets even closer to the strings wouldn’t it?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Yes, that's the problem. If there's no shim in there, something is stopping the neck going fully flat into the pocket - finish build-up or routing chaff around the edges probably.

You'll need to take the neck out again and make sure the pocket is clean and true all the way to the bottom - a sharp chisel is usually the best way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Okay thank you.  I'll take the neck off again and have a gander and clean etc.  Can I do irreparable damage with a chisel?  I don't think it's going to need much is it but I don't want to mess it up?  Am I better taking it in to someone who knows what they are doing?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited June 2019
    Having now seen the photographs, the replacement neck is obviously not properly seated in the pocket IN TWO PLANES.

The damage to the body finish indicates either misalignment or an excessively tight fit.

Remove the neck and inspect the surfaces of the neck pocket. Along the low E edge of the pocket, there could be a "lip" of the butterscotch finish that sits proud of the bare wood. Careful use of abrasives can smooth away the excess finish. This gives the Allparts neck a better chance of fitting properly.

Your second photograph gives the impression that the flat underside surface of the neck sticks out beyond the edge of the body. On vintage Fender guitars, things should have been the other way about. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers this is what it looks like.  I don’t think there’s anything I can do about the square bit sticking out?  I’m not looking for it to be precise looks-wise I just want it to play well.  It’s fitting better now since I sanded the screw holes on the neck and the inside of the pocket but it’s still not quite right.  I’ll have another go when I can get up for it.  Thank you for your help so far though.