Any Golfers on the forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    Used to play off 2. Gave up golf and took up the guitar instead. 
    wow - 2 is pretty handy - I don't play but have a few mates who play 2/3 games a week

I have a belief that part of golf and guitar are similar - You can enjoy it but you'll never be as good as you want to be

Not to hard to hit the ball, but will take a lot of work to hit the fairway all/most of the time, with a 250/300 yard drive - Likewise I could teach 'London Bridge is falling down' to many beginners within hours - Yet most will never be able to play EVH's Eruption - Somewhere in between is where most of us are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

I've played for about 25 years but I'm still bloody awful at it.

I was obsessed for a while and would be out at least 3 or 4 times a week. I've wasted far more money on golf than I ever did on guitars. They're quite similar hobbies for some from the whole, I want new gear perspective.

I play maybe once a month now, and normally only 9 holes.

Beware the man (or woman) with an anaemic looking left hand. They spend way too much time on the golf course.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I used to be quite good when I was a junior. Put my back out and developed a massive slice. It's not as bad if I do plenty of warming up/stretching but it really put me off. 
    Should get back into it. I did really enjoy it.

Do you not find the grass very different in the likes of Spain, Portugal? 
    Personally I refer the Spanish Golf grass...the ball sits up a bit more.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    Rocker said:

Golf is more expensive to play than say guitar.  Club subs, green fees, periodic equipment changes, clothing etc all add up.  And golf kit has zero resale value.

Golf can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, both in terms of where you play, and what standard of equipment you want to use. Obviously if you buy cheap clubs the resale will be next to nothing, but if you buy decent clubs, you’ll recoup maybe 50% of their value when you decide to sell on. 

I recently sold all of my golf clubs, all my golf clothing, shoes, balls etc, and made around £7.5k out of it all. It amazes me that people are willing to spend up to £75 on a used Hugo Boss golf shirt, but I’m not going to complain. 

What on earth did you sell to get £7.5K?  Clubs, buggy &a trailer and a Merc to tow it? I gave three sets golf clubs to a charity shop in the past year as I could not give them away!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7776
    edited June 2019

I haven't played for years, but I have no excuse for not getting a round in now and again - I've still got a full set of Hippo Plus clubs I bought in the early 90s, and I've often considered cutting down to a 3 wood, four or five irons and a putter just while I get back into it. I once watched a DVD of a bloke playing par golf with a 7 iron and a putter so I'm sure fewer clubs doesn't have to be a hindrance.

A year or so ago I swung one of my clubs in the front garden and nearly threw it into the road, so I reckon I've got plenty of work to do if I do get round to playing again
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Only ever played once, on a course in New Zealand. I recon I could yack it round in less "shots"!!!
  • @Deijavoo golfs his knob off.

Bye!

• Paul_C said:

I haven't played for years, but I have no excuse for not getting a round in now and again - I've still got a full set of Hippo Plus clubs I bought in the early 90s, and I've often considered cutting down to a 3 wood, four or five irons and a putter just while I get back into it. I once watched a DVD of a bloke playing par golf with a 7 iron and a putter so I'm sure fewer clubs doesn't have to be a hindrance.

A year or so ago I swung one of my clubs in the front garden and nearly threw it into the road, so I reckon I've got plenty of work to do if I do get round to playing again
    3 rounds last week most I carried was 8 clubs a round. longest club I had with me was a Taylormade RBZ 4 hybrid and still always had a chance of green in two on the par 4s
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Rocker said:
    Rocker said:

Golf is more expensive to play than say guitar.  Club subs, green fees, periodic equipment changes, clothing etc all add up.  And golf kit has zero resale value.

Golf can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, both in terms of where you play, and what standard of equipment you want to use. Obviously if you buy cheap clubs the resale will be next to nothing, but if you buy decent clubs, you’ll recoup maybe 50% of their value when you decide to sell on. 

I recently sold all of my golf clubs, all my golf clothing, shoes, balls etc, and made around £7.5k out of it all. It amazes me that people are willing to spend up to £75 on a used Hugo Boss golf shirt, but I’m not going to complain. 

What on earth did you sell to get £7.5K?  Clubs, buggy &a trailer and a Merc to tow it? I gave three sets golf clubs to a charity shop in the past year as I could not give them away!
    A bag full of PXG clubs with super expensive shafts, 3 putters, tour bag, laser rangefinder, 10 dozen balls, 9 pairs of golf shoes, , Galvin Green Goretex waterproofs, powakaddy, and about 50 items of Hugo boss golf clothing. 
  • 3 rounds last week most I carried was 8 clubs a round. longest club I had with me was a Taylormade RBZ 4 hybrid and still always had a chance of green in two on the par 4s
    It must be a very short course or you must hit a 4 a very long way. 
  • 3 rounds last week most I carried was 8 clubs a round. longest club I had with me was a Taylormade RBZ 4 hybrid and still always had a chance of green in two on the par 4s
    It must be a very short course or you must hit a 4 a very long way. 
    Longest par 4 is 415 from the standard tees.

I hit the 4 hybrid 180ish off the ground 200+ from a nub tee
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
     I started playing last year after a near 20 year lay off. try and play 2-3 times a week at moment
    A golf society that I am a member of is having an outing to Ballinasloe GC next Friday. These outings are always good fun. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I’m just about to play 9 now. Nice day for it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

•  I’ve got the father in law coming down for invitation day tomorrow and I’m still aching from playing Portmarnock yesterday.  

Too hot for me today. 
  • Yeah bit hot for me but shall be on the course first thing tomorrow.. Going Toptracer in a bit though as got a new 3 wood midweek so want to give that a try and also work on my 100yd pitching. Strangely 120yd no problem 80yd no problem 100yd a little bit off. 
  • 120 is a full wedge or a 9 no? 

Im going through shanking the odd pitch at the moment 
    120 is a full wedge or a 9 no? 

It does not matter what club you use if the ball ends up on the green and close to the pin.  Into a strong wind, you may need to punch a 5 iron to reach the green.  The result is what matters not how you get there...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Was due to play today but cried off as fancy a day drinking beers in the garden and not moving much, have played twice this week so not too worried.
  • 120 is a full wedge or a 9 no? 

Im going through shanking the odd pitch at the moment 
    Slightly different for everyone, think I'm a slightly over average hitter with short irons. 

Back from Toptracer, Sw making 100yds sometimes but it felt like work.. Pw way too far but shifting weight to my left and a very slight choke on the club much much better.. Best course of action avoid leaving it 100yds away.

New 3 Wood went okay  190-210 but I put 3 balls on the mat picked up my 4 Hybrid and hit 192, 188 and 201. The club just suits me.