Any Golfers on the forum?

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Invested the cost of 10 large buckets of balls into buying myself an orange whip to do some tempo and synchronisation training at home in conjunction with my lessons. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Invested the cost of 10 large buckets of balls into buying myself an orange whip to do some tempo and synchronisation training at home in conjunction with my lessons. 
    Interesting - never tried them. Let us know how you get on, I may be tempted...
  • sev112 said:
    Quite a crew of us then from GM :)

Oh god I do hope we are not currently
    arguing about socks...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Shot 89 round Sunningdale new today , putted like a tool. Old course tomorrow.  Fek it was HOT! 
    A few of my mates played the Old Course yesterday. The course looks in unbelievable condition. 
    So I guess the boys are on the GM forum?

I played the old weds. Didn’t play anything like as well , 56points over the 2 rounds I think. 
    aye. You know them? you on the GM forum also? 
    I am recently , I was on the same trip but played in the opposite section with the Woodhall Spa boys. 
    Ah. It’s a great community. I stopped visiting regularly when I stopped playing golf regularly, but check back in every now and then. 

The organised forum meets are second second to none (as you’ve just experienced!) 

are you playing the HFH day this year? Best couple of days in the year. 
  • I may be heading to Hankley - running out of holidays to burn though! 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    BRISTOL86 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about so could you please explain or a link to a website.  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about so could you please explain or a link to a website.  Thanks.
    It’s a stick with an orange ball on the end used to practise golf swing, sort of like a flow motion tool designed to get you feeling the weight of the club and let that do the work rather than thinking you have to do it all. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited July 2019
    Have booked a custom fit at the weekend at AG, ones on my list and looking to try out are WS D7, Ping G700, Mizuno JPX...... idea being, try a few, pick ones that suit best, leave and hunt for the best price online.

Any advice before I head on down? 

Have not been for a custom fit before, I presume its hitting balls repeatedly with lots of different clubs and probably some form of hard sell at the end?

Tone71 said:
    Have booked a custom fit at the weekend at AG, ones on my list and looking to try out are WS D7, Ping G700, Mizuno JPX......

Any advice before I head on down? Wont be buying on the spot (hopefully) just want to try a good few mostly for feel as that is what I'm looking for at the moment.

Have not been for a custom fit before, I presume its hitting balls repeatedly with lots of different clubs and probably some form of hard sell at the end?

If I’m being honest, AG are probably the worst place to go for a custom fit. Ideally you need to do it at a driving range so you can see/feel real world feedback. 

Whereabouts are you based? 

Custom fit definitely has its merits. Mizuno’s SwingDNA system is great for determining the stiffness of the shaft you should be using to get the most from your swing speed. 

And if youre not a ‘regular’ height and proportion, having tour clubs sized and angled for your shape and swing can make a huge difference to consistency, BUT, it’s obviously not a miracle cure. You’ll still need to practice and work at it. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I’d plus one for avoiding AG if you can. 

If you have a decent golf club near you they will have a pro who will custom for you for a few quid.  

I like Ping so last time  I went to Ping HQ in Gainsborough.  

Other options would be someone like the Orka golf HQ but all depends on where you are based. 

edited July 2019
    Im Epsom in Surrey, the reason for AG is that it's local, they have a varied choice and it's free! I appreciate it may not be top end for a fit but thought that it is a good chance to hit balls with different clubs an utilise the swing speed and ball attack stats. Otherwise I'll be buying blind again which I really, really don't want to do.

As said before I was offered a custom fit at Callaway but really want to try a few different clubs before deciding, I'm aiming to get a set that will last a few years so want to be open minded and not brand swayed.

Is AG that bad? I thought the general consensus on GM forum is that they are ok?
    Tone71 said:
    Im Epsom in Surrey, the reason for AG is that it's local, they have a varied choice and it's free! I appreciate it may not be top end for a fit but thought that it is a good chance to hit balls with different clubs an utilise the swing speed and ball attack stats. Otherwise I'll be buying blind again which I really, really don't want to do.

As said before I was offered a custom fit at Callaway but really want to try a few different clubs before deciding, I'm aiming to get a set that will last a few years so want to be open minded and not brand swayed.

Is AG that bad? I thought the general consensus on GM forum was they are ok?
    I think it’s a bit hit and miss on the one you get. The one in Cheltenham, for instance, is absolute bobbins. But if you have one with a decent ‘pro’ and analysis tools, it’s probably fine. Plus you’ll get to try a variety of clubs. And most likely better than buying them blind. 

You’ll want the JPX’s though ;). Remember, nothing feels like a Mizuno :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The advice would be just relax. They are used to seeing all kinds of hackers so they have no great expectations.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Tone71 said:
    Have booked a custom fit at the weekend at AG, ones on my list and looking to try out are WS D7, Ping G700, Mizuno JPX...... idea being, try a few, pick ones that suit best, leave and hunt for the best price online.

Any advice before I head on down? 

If you are going to get custom fitted clubs, then make sure they are setup for you.  The only place in Ireland that I would go to for such is: https://www.foregolf.ie/.  You are probably in the UK but there must be someone doing the same thing in the UK.  Otherwise consider a day trip to Ireland.....

Don't go looking for a named club, no matter how well regarded in the golfing press or what top professional uses the club.  Rather let the fitter select the clubhead, shaft and grip to suit your swing.  The only club I have in my bag that is custom fitted for me is my putter.  This was made exactly the right length for me with the putter face precisely where my eye looks at the ball.  Most of the game is played on or very close to the green and using the putter has helped me salvage a Stableford point when all seemed lost.  In a word, trust the fitter if he does more than simply give you a standard club after another standard club etc.  At some stage I will visit ForeGolf for my club analysis and take it from there.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Quite a few peeps getting excited about new Titleist clubs coming out Sept. 
  • Jay1Jay1 Frets: 4
    Tone71 said:

Is AG that bad? I thought the general consensus on GM forum is that they are ok?
    You’re just down the road from me in Sutton. I’d always go to Silvermere over AG. Better club selection, better range and better custom fit facilities. Not much further away than AG either.  they’ll also let you take clubs on the range yourself so can narrow down what you like before a custom fit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jay1 said:
    Tone71 said:

You’re just down the road from me in Sutton. I’d always go to Silvermere over AG. Better club selection, better range and better custom fit facilities. Not much further away than AG either.  they’ll also let you take clubs on the range yourself so can narrow down what you like before a custom fit. 
    Ah I hadn't thought of Silvermere, cheers for that I will give them a call, I like their club shop.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4668
    im playing another new course to me on Friday Afternoon 

https://cookridgehall.co.uk/golf/golf/18-hole-course/

supposed to be a cracking course 
  • I’m off on the Captains trip tomorrow till Sunday. Seaton Carew then Slaley Hall.  40 of us and I’m sure I’ll be near the bottom of the pile the way my swing is this week. 
  • That's my morning finished