NCD: Yamaha THRC212 Guitar Cabinet

grayngrayn Frets: 880
I recently got a Vox Mini Superbeetle Amp/Cab set up.
A very nice little set up but the amp head is capable of more, when put through a larger cab, taking it from a practice to a gigging amp.
When buying the Superbeetle, I tried the head through both Vox and Blackstar, 2X12 cabs and was impressed.
So I decided to go check out a 2X12 cab, that was going for a bargain price, the Yamaha THRC212.
This is a really well made cab, with both an Eminence Legend 1218 speaker (Left or top) and an Eminence The Tonker speaker (Right or lower).
Although the cab is designed to stand horizontally, I have chosen to use it in a vertical position.
And it's brown, front cloth matches reasonably well, with the Vox's diamond-brown cloth.
Impedance wise too, this cab works very well with the Yamaha, as you have 2 separate inputs, one for each 8 ohm speaker.
The Vox has 2 speaker outputs, that run in parallel and so the system is running in 4 ohms, which gives the amp it's maxinum (50 watt) output.
There is a a single speaker input to run both speaker, but that is set up in series and therefore is 16 ohms.
I have to say that the Vox Mini Superbeetle head and the Yamaha THRC212 cab sound great together.
Really loud, if needed and very full, with the cab being rated at 300 watts and the head 50, all is handled very nicely.
It's almost as if they were made for each other, which of course, they are not.
The cab looks and sounds very good quality and is very solid, although not overly heavy at 24 Kg.
The only problem is that the poor little 1X10 Superbeetle cab will not get much use because even at home, I prefer the 2X12.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grayngrayn Frets: 880

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    It does look good with the amp - the rounded cabinet corners are actually not a million miles from some of Vox's styling either.

Those were expensive new, if I remember rightly. Looks like a good option for the Vox since you can run it at 16 ohms with one cable at home to keep the volume down or 4 ohms with two cables at gigs to maximise it.

If you can afford it I still think the little Vox cab would benefit from a G10 Gold speaker too, which should make it nicer-sounding at home.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein