DSL50 - Opinions

chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
edited June 2019 in Amps
Currently on the look out for a Marshall style 50w head and have been offered a 2006 DSL50 (not by anybody on here) and intrigued as to the general opinion on them.

I’ve heard the TSL’s had a bad reputation for reliability (?) but is this the case for the DSL as well?

Opinions gratefully received......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    They are the same from a reliability point of view because the main PCB is identical and they both contain the same faults both there and in other areas.

Not everyone has trouble with them, but I would personally never trust one, even with a replacement PCB. There is just too much wrong with them, and better alternatives.

The 50 is marginally better than the 100, but still not great. If it’s really very cheap and you don’t need reliability as a top priority then it might be worth risking.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I had an early (1999-2000ish) DSL100 - loved the sound, hated the reliability. 
    PCB was a liability, it was on its second when I got it (2008) and really needed a new one when I sold it (2016). 

• chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
    edited June 2019
    Wow, ok thanks for the information.

I don’t particularly want the potential to be stuck with a liability, so on that basis it sounds like it’s worth giving it a miss....

I know @ICBM has got some tech based opinions on the DSL/TSL range,

I gigged and rehersed with DSL probably twice a week for 2 years. In reality it only "died" fully at 1 gig and 2 practices. But I lost count of the amount of times I got weird feedback / drop outs (due to the soldered connections to the PCB.

I believe the newer ones are more reliable. not sure where a 2006 would sit.

I was about to get another DSL for home use (but got a much better bonus at work so sprung for a freidman).

is it for home/studio/gigging?

sgosden said:

I know @ICBM has got some tech based opinions on the DSL/TSL range,

I gigged and rehersed with DSL probably twice a week for 2 years. In reality it only "died" fully at 1 gig and 2 practices. But I lost count of the amount of times I got weird feedback / drop outs (due to the soldered connections to the PCB.

I believe the newer ones are more reliable. not sure where a 2006 would sit.

I was about to get another DSL for home use (but got a much better bonus at work so sprung for a freidman).

is it for home/studio/gigging?

Didn't see ICBMs comment sneak in above mine :)
    edited June 2019
    sgosden said: I know @ICBM has got some tech based opinions on the DSL/TSL range, I gigged and rehersed with DSL probably twice a week for 2 years. In reality it only "died" fully at 1 gig and 2 practices. But I lost count of the amount of times I got weird feedback / drop outs (due to the soldered connections to the PCB. I believe the newer ones are more reliable. not sure where a 2006 would sit. I was about to get another DSL for home use (but got a much better bonus at work so sprung for a freidman). is it for home/studio/gigging?

Would be for gigging.... 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    I think that 2006 would be the second edition of the PCB, however I don't have a very high opinion of these amps (even if you like the sound).

The current Far-Eastern production amps DSLs are way better.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Are the JVMs any better built than the DSL/TSLs?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Are the JVMs any better built than the DSL/TSLs?
    In my experience, yes - I see far fewer of them and they don't have a couple of the worst design flaws of the DSL/TSLs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    I plugged my DSL50 from 2004 in a few weeks ago, it is a fizz bomb, still works fine though, tempted to gut it and build a "west coast" inspired amp inside
    So the consensus seems to be avoid a DSL50 if at all possible!  

In absence of any real offers on my WTB thread what options could there be for a Marshall-esque 2 channel amp (besides a Jet City)
    chunkmonk said:

In absence of any real offers on my WTB thread what options could there be for a Marshall-esque 2 channel amp (besides a Jet City)
    Orange Rocker 30. Discontinued, but not too rare or expensive. It's just a great-sounding amp - quite basic, but it just works in a band context. The clean channel is pretty much a plain power amp input with a volume control and takes heavy distortion and fuzz pedals brilliantly, the dirty channel is surprisingly quite Marshall-like and takes boost and overdrive pedals well. And despite that it still sounds like an old Orange quite a lot too... also very well built and as far as I've seen, totally reliable.

edited June 2019
    So, in the spirit of turning this from a DSL50 thread to an Orange thread.......I’m keen to try the Rocker 30, but may have the opportunity to get a Rockerverb 50 (with KT88s) at a similar lower price.

Given the obvious differences, which of the two would be better suited for 70s/80s style rock covers?