DL4 restoration/mod

What's Hot
lineslines Frets: 27
edited June 2019 in FX
Hi Guys,

I have an old DL4, probably about 12 years old now which has been disused for quite some time.

The pedal no longer works and while i don't know the exact reason i suspect it may have something to do with the corroded batteries which has left a considerable amount of rust.

Does anyone know of anywhere i can get the pedal fixed and restored to its former glory?

I have seen various people offering their modification services for these pedals on social media, however i suspect most of them are in the US.

Many Thanks,

Josh

https://joshwaa590-blog.tumblr.com/post/185881530839
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Josh,

It really depends on where the battery acid has reached as to whether or not its worth fixing.

TBH, the biggest thing that prevents these from firing up is corrosion/tarnish on the pins of the main processor chip on the rear of the board. If you take the base off, you'll see it in the centre of the main board in a push fit retainer. I wouldn't suggest just levering it out, cleaning it and shoving it back in unless you have earthing strap/zero static facilities as the chip is very easily fried by static. I'm sure I've seen a video on Youtube suggesting you do exactly this... 

The other big issue is the power socket - the solder can crack around the pins going into the board. This leads to intermittency and eventually no power up.

A good tech should be able to do either for you. I do know one of my old service engineers (I ran the Service Dept at Line6 UK) is doing private work, but he's based in Northants. If you are keen, I can PM you his phone number.

Good luck.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lineslines Frets: 27
    Thank you for your reply, if you could send me his number that would be great. It would be worth seeing what he could do.

Thank you so much
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    PM sent, chap.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• lineslines Frets: 27
    awesome, thank you!