Advice requested on dodgy bridge saddle, please

smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
Hi all,

I sanded down the underside of the bridge saddle on my old Grand Suzuki acoustic. I'm very pleased overall: it's improved the guitar's playability out of all recognition - and I swear the sound is better too.

One problem: the top E string now moves slightly on the bridge saddle (the other strings are fine). This produces a quick "chirrup" as the string shifts (and a momentary feeling that it may snap :-)). It's not *too* bad: it only happens when I hit it hard and only then when I switch plucking direction from downs to an up, or ups to a down. And it doesn't make the string go wildly out of tune or anything. But it is of course very irritating.

The cause is obvious: sanding the saddle has resulted in insufficient down pressure from the string, so there's no longer a single stable point at which the string can rest on the saddle. In fact it seems that there there are now *two* alternative stable points.

So what to do? I don't want to start again with a new bridge saddle. My thought is to pick a one of the two stable points and slightly deepen the slot at that point. Would this work? Assuming so, what is the best way to do such deepening??

Thanks for any advice...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Look up cutting string ramps. Fairly straight forward with a dremel. That’ll increase the pressure on the saddle 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Notch it slightly with a knife blade where you want the string to be. You won't have to go deep enough to noticeably lower the action.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    Thanks guys. I’ll have a go with a knife first off; and if that doesn’t do it I’ll try steepening the break angle by ramping. Wish me luck :-).