Hardware compressor recommendation

What's Hot
I'm thinking of getting a hardware compressor to sit in front of my audio interface so I can better control levels going into the PC, mainly when recording DI bass.

I'd rather not have a 19" unit if possible, and only really need a single channel, plus I don't want to spend much (preferably sub-£100.  Any recommendations?  Would I just be as well to get a compressor pedal for this application?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    If it’s basic then there’s a few to choose from, just eBay search Drawmer, DBX, Behringer, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited June 2019
    I have a Valley International MicroFX compressor that I used for years for this kind of thing.

[edit] I knew these had a bit of a following but didn't know anything about the company. A bit of late night googling has led to this info on Tape Op message board.

"The micro series was developed by Michael 'Doc' Morgan at Valley, which was a fully comprehensive line of modules.

A bit of history... The lineage stated with Paul C Buff who with his then wife Allison moved to Nashville and merged with a small company called Valley Audio in 1981, in 1983-84 Paul left selling his shares out to Doc and Norm Baker the company then became known as Valley International before it was eventually was forced to declare bankruptcy and was sold off to Galaxy.

The company made outstanding gear that technically speaking was way ahead of it's time. The micros were geared to be a low cost option for the masses but still very usable. They are prob more widely known for the 800 series modules like the Gain Brain II, Kepax II, MaxiQ, DSP, Commander and Leveller etc along with the 400 series Dynamite and 410 and 610 processors.

For those that don't know Paul was the owner of 'PAL Studios' in LA, which he sold off to Frank Zappa (Studio Z) and was responsible for much of the early 'surf rock' sound."

As a Zappa fan, I'm well chuffed to find out about this connection with the great man.

By the way, just to make clear, I'm not interested in selling my own unit - it's way too useful.
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    spark240 said:
    If it’s basic then there’s a few to choose from, just eBay search Drawmer, DBX, Behringer, 
    Thanks, I've looked at them (had a dbx 266XL years ago too) but, as per my OP, I'd like to avoid 19" units ideally.

@steamabacus - thanks for the recommendation.  I'll keep an eye on that one.
  • What about one of those mini Joe Meek comp's? Those are small and portable, and not too expensive. Although more than £100.

TC Forcefield compressor is cheap as chips. Don't know whether it's any good though.

Bye!

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Fwiw. If you are mainly using it for instruments, a good bass compressor will be fine, more practical and likely more "musical" than a generic half rack comp.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited June 2019
    It I were you, I'd spend a tiny bit more on the thorpy fat general V1 which is on clearance.

https://thorpyfx.com/collections/clearance-products/products/fat-general-parallel-compressor
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    There shouldn't be a technical need to control the levels going into the DAW.  If you are working at 24bit then you have plenty of headroom and I suspect that, like many people, you are running the signal too hot.  Back in the days of tape it was important to maximise the signal in order to improve the S/N ratio - this is no longer the case but the tape approach seems to have been passed through the generations so that the young guys who have never seen a piece of tape still work that way.  Leave sufficient headroom and apply compression withing the DAW where you have a choice of excellent plug-ins for free.

Now, that said, you may want to hear some compression at the time of recording in order to get a better feel which in turn will produce a better performance.  In that case my choice would be to take a signal pre-hardware compressor to the DAW for processing later whilst monitoring (and recording if you wish) the signal post hardware comp.

My way of recording bass is to plug into my Kemper and record the profile output and the pre-profiled DI output side by side on two tracks in the DAW.  The profiled output has some compression (I try for minimum in order to get the feel), the DI'd has none.  I usually only monitor the profiled output whilst laying the track.  I then process / blend the two tracks at mix.  If I decide that I don't like the profiled sound but the take is good then I have the option to re-amp from the DI track either back through the Kemper or via a plug-in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Doesn't fit what you are looking for at all  but the only hardware compressor I really lust after is a distressor
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ