Intro on 'Are you experienced?'

What's Hot
steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
edited June 2019 in Technique
Hello, anyone know how Hendrix got that lovely bassy, whooshy sound on the intro to 'Are you experienced?"
When I try it with a pick or palm of my hand, it comes out a pathetic 'clickety click click'. It's embarrassing.
Did he brush one of his psychedelic sleeves up against the strings or something...?
Thoughts appreciated...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    First off: a 4x12 or stack with a Marshall  superbass should help restore the missing bass. 
    Tbh, I’ve long avoided this relatively simple piece as it’s not easy to pull off. Check out his live version. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The racking of the open strings?  It's backwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited June 2019
    Yep, the tape is playing backwards.
    A reverse reverb setting, or reverse delay setting which you get on some FX pedals gets something that sounds very similar**.  The major difference is obviously the FX can only make the backwards sound after you have actually played something so timing is really difficult to get exact but tbh it doesn't matter much if you're doing it live because it's all about that sound and you'll only be using it for a spot effect.

** EHX seem to pull this off really well.  The Memory Man with Haz. and the Oceans 11 are the ones I've used.  The reverse setting on the Boss units seems less psychedelic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited June 2019
    Ah, yeah, it's backwards....I just hadn't got that! Thanks for the tips on recreating with FX, that's perfect l as I want to steal the sound for the verse of a song I'm working on...I'll also check out the live version, as it's a great one to cover- love the high pedal note(that right?)
    Cheers folks
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Watch Eric johnson's version he scrape the side of his hand against the strings.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    superb - thank you @jacksparrow. How come I never heard Eric Johnson before?? !...that's a great version.
  • It is backwards on are you experienced. 

Live Jimi muted the strings with his fretting hand and played the rhytmic pattern with his picking hand. 
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/