First acoustic gig and improving

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
edited June 2019 in Acoustics
So after a good number of practises, I did my first acoustic duo show for a long time. Two 45s of pop and rock covers (Fleetwood Mac X 3, Elvis, 'Phonics, Kings of Leon etc) and the majority of it I do strum and bash um out. I enjoyed it bar one set of chords I fluffed but I covered it I think. 

Having a bit of a reflection post gig about how I go about making improvements to what I played. My style is very much rock electric playing into strummy acoustic, all with a pick. My problem is, I dunno where I could start. I think I like attack and dynamics I can get with a pick and potentially not got the confidence or skills to go fill on finger style. 

Any suggestions maybe acoustic flat picking tutorials or the like?

(For the gear nerds, it was a Faith Naked Venus range)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    "...this one time, at Acoustic Day..."

Come along and ponder the topic among friends :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm in a 5 piece band with two plugged in acoustics, an electric bass  and two members who play an assortment of instruments(hand percussion, xylophone, accordian, harmonica etc...)  .   My biggest thing is to avoid having both guitars strumming at the same time.  The other guitarist is a confirmed "strummer" so I take it  as a challenge to find something else to do other than strum.  I am an experienced fingerpicker so I fall back on that a lot.   In some songs I've worked out the chords in two note (I + V) variations higher up the neck, in other songs I just noodle between the vocals sort of like (but not near as good) in Sultans of Swing.  Some good strum along songs though are "Fishermans Blues"(The Waterboys), "Wagon Wheel"(Darius Rucker).  If you want to get more flat picking smarts look up Johnny Cash.    We do "Folsom Prison Blues", which has some classic, easy flat picking throughout.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766

Try and think of the song in the round and incorporate different elements into your performance. Have a look at this video he is basically playing the bass line, hinting at the melody and bringing in pieces of the lead guitar line and keyboard. It's doable with a flatpick also.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom