Binding at the saddle

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
edited June 2019 in Acoustics
my new Martin (have I mentioned it before? :-) ) has this thing where the G string seems like it binds at the saddle - if it needs a tuning tweak then there's that characteristic "ping!" I'm more used to hearing from a binding nut - then a slight overshoot in tuning which is then easily corrected.

Is this likely to need a slight fettle of the saddle or could.it he that particular string not seated quite right? I suppose it could also be the ball end not seated quite right (can be hard to tell exactly where wayward noises are coming from, from experience) 

Tagging them that know about these things for attention :-) @stuartryanmusic @Lewy 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Sounds like binding at the saddle - quite common if it's a bit too high, which it often is on new Martins. They do that on purposes so they can be adjusted correctly after the guitar has settled in. Polishing the top of it should fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    I think I get this G ping on all my acoustics - never happens on a different string, and truthfully I never really think about it - doesn’t always happen and when it does it only happens the once and then I can tune normally. Interested in others’ answers myself!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    yup, my larry often does that, never knew it was a thing to think about TBH, just something it did. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Don't/didn't Takemine do a bridge that overcomes this.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Cheers

The shop would have given it to their tech to adjust to my liking but having played a dozen instruments on the day this one was playing the best/spot on so I didn't bother. Maybe they'd have picked it up. 

It's as you say @Lewy - one ping/adjustment and it's fine 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I’ve used a pencil on slots just to help the strings slide in the slot. Seems to work 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Andy79 said:
    I’ve used a pencil on slots just to help the strings slide in the slot. Seems to work 
    I don't think that would work on the saddle 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    TimmyO said:
    Andy79 said:
    I don't think that would work on the saddle 
    Fair enough. I haven’t had any creaking since I started doing it. Not science I know but I’ll probably continue