Price/sanity check - 1960s Southern Jumbo player grade

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10893
Hello guitar experts.  I've offered this in a part ex.  It's had a headstock repair, a refret, and the original bridge is in the case.  Assuming the work is clean and it sounds good, what would a realistic trade value be?  I'm wondering if that's a split on the soundboard.  It's local so I can inspect before committing.  Cheers :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited June 2019
    Yes, that's a split. It's taken a knock where the tiny crack in the binding is, which has loosened the finish in the area next to it as well. It may have been repaired already - you probably won't be able to feel any movement since it's so close to the kerfing, you'll need to look inside with a torch and a mirror. I would also check for similar damage on the other side where the same sort of finish loss has happened - it may have fallen and bounced twice, or possibly had the case 'squeezed' sideways, perhaps in an airline baggage conveyor. (I once saw a Martin D-35 with split sides from exactly that.)

The headstock repair is very well done, it's barely visible in the pic. Putting padding *behind* the headstock in the case is very foolish! It will increase the chances of a break. If it becomes yours, remove that immediately even if it's only bubble wrap...

I can't give much advice on pricing, I tend not to follow these things as much now, but probably 2/3 of the value of an undamaged one will be about right. @guitars4you will be able to give you a better idea.

Does it have an undersaddle transducer pickup fitted, by the way? I can't think of any other reason anyone would make the saddle slot so far off-centre otherwise! It might be better with a pickup that was intended for wide string spacing...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    ICBM said:
    Yes, that's a split. It's taken a knock where the tiny crack in the binding is, which has loosened the finish in the area next to it as well. It may have been repaired already - you probably won't be able to feel any movement since it's so close to the kerfing, you'll need to look inside with a torch and a mirror. I would also check for similar damage on the other side where the same sort of finish loss has happened - it may have fallen and bounced twice, or possibly had the case 'squeezed' sideways, perhaps in an airline baggage conveyor. (I once saw a Martin D-35 with split sides from exactly that.)

The headstock repair is very well done, it's barely visible in the pic. Putting padding *behind* the headstock in the case is very foolish! It will increase the chances of a break. If it becomes yours, remove that immediately even if it's only bubble wrap...

I can't give much advice on pricing, I tend not to follow these things as much now, but probably 2/3 of the value of an undamaged one will be about right. @guitars4you will be able to give you a better idea.

Does it have an undersaddle transducer pickup fitted, by the way? I can't think of any other reason anyone would make the saddle slot so far off-centre otherwise! It might be better with a pickup that was intended for wide string spacing...
    Apparently the bridge is fitted in the original tunomatic slot, so the mod can be reversed. I am enquiring about the damage to the top. Thanks for the advice
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Do you know the year of it? Obviously it’s after ‘62. 
    A decent trade price would be 14-1600 me thinks. 2-2500 retail? Not sure what the headstock damage would do to things, can’t even see it
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Andy79 said:
    Do you know the year of it? Obviously it’s after ‘62. 
    A decent trade price would be 14-1600 me thinks. 2-2500 retail? Not sure what the headstock damage would do to things, can’t even see it
    Ta mate. It's a late 60s with 40mm nut and skinny neck, not quite so keen now. Maybe I'll just hold out for a '64 330
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Those necks are super cramped. No idea what they were thinking there. I’d think twice on that, as clearly, are you 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I thought it looked narrow in the pic, but assumed it was an optical illusion since I somehow read that it was early 60s, even though you didn’t say so!

The skinny neck drastically reduces the value too, something that most sellers seem unwilling to accept. Just because it’s a 60s Gibson does not mean it’s worth a fortune if most people don’t want it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    On the plus side, that looks like a Sunrise pickup fitted to it. If that's right, they're supposed to be excellent and would set you back just shy of £300 if you were fitting one.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    ^
    And if it is a Sunrise, check whether it comes with the optional buffer box, which is quite valuable.