Cover Challenge #6 - Voting Thread

This is the voting thread for the Cover Challenge #6

All the entries can be found in the playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no-6-the-power

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below. 

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Sunday 7th July.
In the event of a tie for first place one of the modmins will be our head judge and have the casting vote. 

The entry with the most points gets to pick the next song to be covered. 

ALL ENTRANTS PLEASE HAVE YOUR IDEAS READY FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 48HRS AFTER VOTING CLOSES TO MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SONG CHOICE. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO THEN I'LL END UP CHOOSING IT FOR YOU! 

Good luck 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited July 2019
    Will get mine in early as I’m sat on a packed train!...

5pts @flying_pie - king of the mashups and a good rendition.
    3pts @IMC1980 - straight from the remake of back to the future
    1pt @Bezzer - made me smile.

it was tough to choose between bezzer and strat man for me by bezzer edged it just with the vocal... although the solo in stratmans version is a thing of beauty...

top work chaps, and no celine in sight!!!!!!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    5 points @IMC1980 - another outstanding rocker
    3 points for the legend that is Uncle Slippyfist @poopot ;
    1 point @Bezzer ;

Sorry @stratman3142 but I will usually go for vocals over instrumental even with top notch playing 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    This is, as always a tough one... 

5 points - @flying_pie - Great vocals, guitars and strings, probably my favourite of your covers so far

3 points - @poopot - Uncle on fine form, leaving a greasy residue on the mind and soul

1 point - @Bezzer - it was close between you and Poopot, but the sleazy funk pipped it for me, awesome arrangement though.

Special mention for the @stratman3142 solo, brilliant,as always.

Well done all!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    5 points - @poopotAwesome amount of work !
    3 points - @IMC1980 . Loved the samples.
    1 point - @flying_pie . Vocals were great.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    5 points @flying_pie : An imaginative 'in the style of' interpretation and a departure from the Huey Lewis copies
    3 points @poopot : Another alternative interpretation in your trademark sleazy style. Love the guitar sound and your bends/vibrato
    1 point @IMC1980 : A great rocking version. I like your vocals.

@Bezzer I liked yours. Sorry you missed out on my votes. I found the groove a bit lumpy and it was less of a variation on the original (not that I can talk).

btw. I'm happy to get "nul points" for these Cover challenges. They're more about challenges to myself (as are all the challenges). I planned to do everything using NI Massive X, but it didn't get released in time so I ended up using NI Massive for everything apart from the drums (AD2) and the guitar solo. I had this idea of doing a Chase & Status style with NI Massive, but unfortunately things came out very cheesy (hence the title).

It's not a competition.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    edited July 2019
    OK, sorry for my absence on this thread ... been a manic old week so far.  I'm going as such:

5 points @poopot - this is a phrase I never thought I'd type but, I can't resist a slippy fist.
    3 points @IMC1980 - top rock, top
    1 point @flying_pie - damned fine work, was close.

Honorable @stratman3142 ... sorry man, really liked yours too but I always tend to lean more to vocal tracks and I have a kind of allergy to synths, partially to my inability find a good sound ... this may be cyclical!

Realise there is potential that may look a little like "you gave me 0, f*** you!!", promise it's not anything of the sort ... I am also happy to be in the nul points brigade ... which is handy given past performance. (as soon as the fourth entry landed I thought "ah well, chance of a glorious third place have slipped by  )  These are for me an excuse to try something different to my usual style so all feedback is good feedback.

This was fun though, I sang the solo then transcribed and played it ... and I've never stacked brass before.  All good fun init.

F***ing metal next month though ... balls to it
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

5 @IMC1980 - ace

3 @stratman3142 - ace again

1 @flying_pie and another ace here

All crackers, and I'm bummed out that I couldn't get mine in in time, just too much on. No doubt I will post up eventually just cos I don't like leaving it not finished etc.

Top work chaps

Voting closes tonight
    Voting closed 
    9 to 5!!!! Just saying ;)
    poopot said:
    My current band do that (with female guest vocals). The guitar part is ace - great funky chicken pickin' 
    poopot said:
    My current band do that (with female guest vocals). The guitar part is ace - great funky chicken pickin' 
    An easy win then!!!!!